All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sandforce OWC SSD
PostPosted: March 30th, 2016, 11:57 

I got this SSD with SF chip set, it comes ready but after few minutes it get really hot and goes off line, I can cool it down and comes ready again, likely is a volt regulator but no able to figure which one it is, can someone give me a hand to recognize with component could be bad.

Thank you

Attachments:
ssd-02.jpg
ssd-02.jpg [ 166.36 KiB | Viewed 15157 times ]
ssd-01.jpg
ssd-01.jpg [ 173.62 KiB | Viewed 15157 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sandforce OWC SSD
PostPosted: March 30th, 2016, 16:02 

Which component is heating up?

I can identify U502 (NAND voltage regulator?), but the markings on U605 (Vcore regulator?) and U17 (LDO regulator?) are unclear.

EN6337QI, Enpirion, 3A Voltage Mode Synchronous Buck PWM DC-DC Converter with Integrated Inductor:
https://www.altera.com/content/dam/alte ... _05800.pdf

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 11:50 

fzabkar...Both the controller and NAND chips are getting hot. And I do mean really hot. U605 is actually not populated by any component. Are you maybe referring to U606? Would be the small black chip just left of the EN6337QI and just above the controller in the picture. Its markings are ATBK H350. And U17 markings are T730.

Thanks for your reply. It is appreciated.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 13:05 

What's going on ?
"hdd_sand" is asking something and "rdallasb" is replying like the OP
Is it the same person ? Or another person with the same problem ?

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 13:36 

Sorry jermy, I should have clarified. I work with hdd_sand. Same lab.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 16:13 

rdallasb wrote:
fzabkar...Both the controller and NAND chips are getting hot. And I do mean really hot. U605 is actually not populated by any component. Are you maybe referring to U606? Would be the small black chip just left of the EN6337QI and just above the controller in the picture. Its markings are ATBK H350. And U17 markings are T730.

Oops, I meant U606. The photo was unclear. "ATBK" looks like the marking code while H350 looks like a YWW date code (week 50 of 2013). I can't find any suitable candidate, though.

ISTM that the output voltage of the EN6337QI chip may be too high. I suspect it may be generating the voltage for the NAND array and the flash controller's Vio. I would check for a short between Vin and Vout. I would also check the voltage specs for the NAND chips. It would be risky, but if you are quick enough, you could measure the voltages across the capacitors adjacent to the NANDs. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this, though.

U17 is an LM73 temperature sensor.

LM73CIMK, Texas Instruments, 2.7-V, SOT-23, 11- to 14-Bit Digital Temperature Sensor With 2-Wire Interface, marking T730:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm73.pdf
http://datasheet.octopart.com/LM73CIMK- ... 326679.pdf

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 19:28 

Is it possible that the NAND chips get their supply voltage directly from the interface rather than the EN6337?? It would be an idea to determine which capacitors connect to the EN6337 and which connect to the interface.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 10:48 

fzabkar, Thank you for the information. I plan on looking into that today. I will let you know what we find out.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 11:42 

hdd_sand wrote:
I got this SSD with SF chip set, it comes ready but after few minutes it get really hot and goes off line, I can cool it down and comes ready again, likely is a volt regulator but no able to figure which one it is, can someone give me a hand to recognize with component could be bad.

Thank you

Well,
Once it Is Online Can You Start Cloning It .If Yes Try Blowing High Speed Air To The SSD From Both Sides ,Clone it and Job Is Done .Otherwise Figure Out The Voltage Flow And check The Components .I Vote For Air Its a Sandforce :mrgreen:

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 12:08 

Quote:

Well,
Once it Is Online Can You Start Cloning It .If Yes Try Blowing High Speed Air To The SSD From Both Sides ,Clone it and Job Is Done .Otherwise Figure Out The Voltage Flow And check The Components .I Vote For Air Its a Sandforce :mrgreen:

WTF is this answer???

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 12:17 

hdd_sand wrote:
Quote:

Well,

WTF is this answer???

Simple English again ,
You Stated That The SSD Comes Online But in a Few Minutes It Becomes Really Hot And Goes Offline And If You Cool It Later It Comes Online Again ,what i am stating Is That you Could Blow a Stream " Means Air Flow " of Air Using a Small DC Fan Hooked To Your Computers Powersupply And Keep the Heat of the SSd In Control And Clone The SSD if Indeed Its Coming Online and Providing You Sector Access .And Really Using Words Like "WTF " With Your Forums Members Who Are Just Pouring Out Thier Suggestions Is Not Cool .I Could Have Also Responded The Same Way But i did Not .

PS : Stop Sending Me PM's You Do Not Like My Opinion Ignore It and do What You Feel Like ,I Do Not Have a Itch To Fight a Match At My age With anyone

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 13:20 

Okay you two, don't make me turn this car around!

Amarbir...Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately the device is getting too hot for that. We have tried several methods to keep the device cool, but they all result in shutdown after a short time. I fear that the situation is degrading and that it may not come back one of these times. I think the only solution is to fix the component(s) that are causing the problem. Which in all honesty should have been the first plan of action. I will take a look and report my findings.

Thanks again for the replies! It is appreciated.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 13:26 

rdallasb wrote:
Okay you two, don't make me turn this car around!

Amarbir...Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately the device is getting too hot for that. We have tried several methods to keep the device cool, but they all result in shutdown after a short time. I fear that the situation is degrading and that it may not come back one of these times. I think the only solution is to fix the component(s) that are causing the problem. Which in all honesty should have been the first plan of action. I will take a look and report my findings.

Thanks again for the replies! It is appreciated.

Well,
Tell Him To Control His Feeling ,Infact i Should Report the Useless Insulting Pm's i Got But I Have Better Things To Do ,Anyways its Clear To Me Now That You Tried already what i Commented And Thats Fair enough ,As Stated My Me Earlier To Track Down The Bad Guy In This circuit ,BTW It Could also Be One of The NAND Beware

PostPosted: April 4th, 2016, 14:13 

My only concern is for the device and the recovery. Thanks.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2016, 10:03 

rdallasb wrote:

Well Well,
If This is Your Attitude And Your Buddy Here Trashes / Abuses Us Then I Do Not think You Will Get any Responses .I Also Have The Same Observation As Jermy That You and This Fellow Are One And The Same Person ,He Abuses And you Rub Salt On Those Wounds .1 More PM From You Or This Guy Without No Control Over His Tongue And Hands And i am Reporting To Dimirty Sir

PostPosted: April 5th, 2016, 11:18 

Amarbir,

My point was that I am trying to keep it professional. I do not wish to get involved in your differences with hdd_sand. I have kept it clean and professional. I thanked you for your suggestions and explained that we have previously attempted those methods. hdd_sand and I are not the same person as I explained in my response to Jermy.

Thanks

PostPosted: April 5th, 2016, 11:43 

Amarbir[CDR-Labs] wrote:
rdallasb wrote:

Well Well,
If This is Your Attitude And Your Buddy Here Trashes / Abuses Us Then I Do Not think You Will Get any Responses .I Also Have The Same Observation As Jermy That You and This Fellow Are One And The Same Person ,He Abuses And you Rub Salt On Those Wounds .1 More PM From You Or This Guy Without No Control Over His Tongue And Hands And i am Reporting To Dimirty Sir

Hey just and FYI, rdallasb and hdd_sand are NOT repeat NOT the same person...... :beer:

PostPosted: April 5th, 2016, 11:53 

Amarbir: We have communicated a few times on this forum and hopefully we have a good relationship. I do know rdallasb and hdd_sand personally (we do not work together just know each other professionally). They are both good guys who have offered to help me out with difficult cases on several occasions. I obviously have not seen any PM's so don't know the full story, but I can vouch for their integrity and helpfulness on other forums and on a personal basis. They are genuinely good guys.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2016, 11:29 

Thank you for your reply fzabkar!