Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

Is there a guide to resetting "SMART" data here?

August 17th, 2016, 11:09

I saw a few threads referencing to do this, but offered no explanation (mostly w/ Seagate drives)

I have an OCZ ssd that works just fine except the "B1" smart attribute has been tripped. This is just saying that the wear level of the most used block is too far from the wear level of the least used block.

In a perfect world I would just put this drive in a computer that gives the option to disable smart in bios, but that is not an option for me right now.

I read that Maxtor firmware flashing sometimes resets smart data. Any chance that a fw upgrade from OCZ would remedy this?? Another option would be to somehow found out which sectors are the least worn and then wear them down by relocating my page/swap files or running some utility designed to artificially wear the low wear blocks.

I am also open to suggestions from anyone who knows how to modify the windows 7 install process to ignore smart check, either by modifying the files on the bootable or issuing a command line via shift+f10 during the install.

Please help, I'm stuck on windows 10 until I either replace a perfectly functioning ssd, or buy a mobo with more advanced bios to disable the check before the windows installer ever sees it.

Re: Is there a guide to resetting "SMART" data here?

August 17th, 2016, 19:16

Could we see the SMART report?

Would it be possible for you to install Win 7 on another SSD or maybe a HDD, and then clone or "migrate" the installation to your original SSD?

Perhaps you could then disable the SMART check after installation using the suggestions in the following thread:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?strip=1&q=cache:http://www.ceus-now.com/disable-s-m-a-r-t-in-windows-7/

August 17th, 2016, 19:44

There isn't any more details needed I don't think, it's just attribute b1 is above a threshold. Probably because I didn't disable the page file and some sectors were used too heavily compared to others.

I am trying to get XP installed and see if an upgrade install to 7 can bypass the check since I think a registry modify can hide it from the OS once it is loaded and xp probably doesn't have the forced smart check unbypassable.

August 18th, 2016, 4:36

A SMART failure occurs when the value of a critical attribute falls below its threshold. However, all the Google references to OCZ and attribute 0xB1/177 turn up Current/Worst/Threshold values of 0/0/0. AISI this means that this attribute can never trigger a SMART failure. :?
Post a reply