All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dumping Micron M500 SSD firmware MU05
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2016, 20:43 

I agree. Kingston serves as a proof that impersonation would likely fail.

I give HDAT2 a shot. Thanks for your suggestion.

Re PC-3000 SSD: Well, I just read every single word in the PC-3000 SSD website and watched their Marvell VanGaug videos. They won't go through every menu in their videos, but judging by your recommendation and their words, it sounds like a beacon of hope.

Their website claims:
Quote:
- read and write the content of the SSD's ROM
- load the microcode into the drives's RAM

Does that mean I can make a clone of whatever hell there is in the "good" Micorn M500 on a off-the-shelf Micron M500?

I am thinking, in the lack of Micron M500 480GB, and considering that -to my inexperience uneducated eyes- Crucial M500 480GB is exactly similar to its Micorn counterpart, getting PC-3000 SSD I could make us working media. Am I wrong thinking so?

Also there are three models of PC-3000 SSD, namely Express, UDMA, an Portable, but there isn't enough description on how they are different (or I'm failing to notice them). I think Express should be a good one?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions and you're right when you said having tool is one thing and knowing how to use it is another. This should be written in gold, but in my desperate situation I think I have to get my credit card out and jump in to the water and hope that I somehow can swim by looking and listening to you.

I certainly know very little about HDD and SSD, but I like to see myself a hand-on technical guy. I was part of the team that did amazing works for real-time camera tracking based on sensor's IR signal in the BBC. This is currently being used in ITV in their Virtual Studio, etc. So I hope I can take my chances and rely on what kind people like yourself will teach me

Besides, I think I have to fix this somehow. There're others looking up at me to get this fixed. I'm loosing my mental health on this. There is not a minute that I don't blame myself on getting this entire stupid system from not a well-known company to begin with. I know the reason for that was that I didn't have the money for American alternative, but this still hurts every time I think about it.
One day, in the near future, we may look back at all this and see the solution was an easy thing, but today, this little ban the greedy supplier placed on our way is bringing us down...

Re the price of this, there are people in this forum talking about Euro2200 up to GBP2400. Is there any substance to their suggestions?

I'm about to complete their request form. Do you suggest that this might resolve our issue? I would appreciate your advice as ever.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 6:42 

I have one more assumption. The "good" drive can store some signature or other data. In this case you just need clone this drive. Obviously the receiver must have greater or same capacity. And you have to make full copy, i mean sector to sector copy (not just copying files). And it would be better to take a M500 drive as a receiver. It's quite an easy thing we can check. I beleive there is a free tool for cloning drives. Will be waiting for your reply.

Quote:
Does that mean I can make a clone of whatever hell there is in the "good" Micorn M500 on a off-the-shelf Micron M500?

PC3000 SSD is a set of utilities for different vendors and models of SSD's. Each utility has own set of capabilities. As for M500, If I'm not mistaken, PC3000 can read and write firmware and most of other service data of the drive. But I'm not sure this is what you need. As for the firmware, it could be worth shot, but as i understood, both drives have same firmware version. So probably the firmware is actually same... From the other side, "good" drive can have a special version of the firmware only in case if the cartridges vendor ask Micron to make it. IMHO, there is no chances they can do it by themself. Could they order the special firmware.. May be... But it's much more easier to attach to the some info in drive's ID (Model, Serial, e.t.c.). Not the best idea, but who know.. Or they can write a signature to some sector (sector 0, or last sector for example) before they put the drive into this damn cartridge.

Quote:
I am thinking, in the lack of Micron M500 480GB, and considering that -to my inexperience uneducated eyes- Crucial M500 480GB is exactly similar to its Micorn counterpart, getting PC-3000 SSD I could make us working media. Am I wrong thinking so?

Not easy question. I think these are same drives, but i cant be totally sure.

Quote:
Also there are three models of PC-3000 SSD, namely Express, UDMA, an Portable, but there isn't enough description on how they are different (or I'm failing to notice them). I think Express should be a good one?

PC3000 is software and hardware tool. The difference is in hardware part, software is same. The cheapest one would be the best for you. But I'm still thinking purchasing it is not good idea for you. We still dont know the reason of these errors. And PC3000 SSD is an addition soft for the PC3000, so you have to buy PC3000 and PC3000 SSD, double price.
fzabkar made a good idea with ATA analyser. If cloning the drive wont help, i think we should try analyser.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 15:26 

Thank you bubaleh;

That's actually is a great suggestion. I am going to look for a 'true' sector to sector copier and give it a shot right now!!

It would be great if you could suggest a good one :)

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 15:36 

dd in Linux should do it (be careful not to get the source and destination mixed up). Otherwise you could use DMDE (freeware disc editor) to copy a range of sectors from one drive to another.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 15:52 

I got this docking station:
http://www.inateck.com/hdd-docking-stat ... iiiii.html

Reading other posts here, I suspect that there are number of sectors that are not easily accessible to OS unless going through specific procedure. If that's a thing, is that docking station any good? Or should I still go the Linux way. (so I already started downloading Fedora image anyway only because I remember I liked it better, but it will be a long process to set it up, which I happily do)

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 17:22 

By all means, let's see what happens when you clone the drive. However, I'm wondering how a missing software "signature" would explain the two different error messages.

BTW, I could easily write my own signature into the firmware of a WD HDD and access it with a unique VSC which would fail on the same, unmodified HDD. I expect that someone who had access to Micron's or Phison's VSCs could do something similar. Otherwise, an enterprising individual could reverse engineer the VSCs by analysing the SATA traffic produced by PC-3000 SSD.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 15:38 

If you want me to sector clone from a "working" SSD using a hardware imager and try to change the ID of the recipient SSD, I'll do it for free :-)

PM me if interested

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 13:41 

Thank for your generous offer pcimage. Very interested :)

I suspect you won't work during bank holiday weekend. I'll contact next week then

Enjoy your long, (hopefully) hot weekend

PostPosted: August 27th, 2016, 14:31 

No problem, but not hopefull of a hot weekend.

Been ****ing down all day so far!!