All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Olympus Voice Recorder Codecs
PostPosted: October 25th, 2016, 19:29 

I have an Olympus Voice Recorder that the files were accidentally deleted from. This Voice Recorder just has the earpiece jack rather than a data port so recovering the deleted files via the port was not an option. We removed the eMMC chip and have downloaded the data, however as this VR uses proprietary codecs and we cannot play the files. Anyone had experience/success with these files before?

Post subject: Re: Olympus Voice Recorder Codecs
PostPosted: October 25th, 2016, 20:00 

Have you tried Olympus's software?

Olympus Digital Wave Player 2.1.4 VN-3100PC/VN-4100PC:
http://daviddeley.com/solutions/olympus/olympus_digital_wave_player_for_windows.zip

PostPosted: October 26th, 2016, 2:26 

Olympus recorders is pain in the (you know where ;) ). Last time I meet similar problem. Even Olympus support not know how these files are encrypted. It is ridiculous...

You can try soft recommended by fzabkar, but if I good remember files must be in proper dir and have proper names to be visible by soft.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2016, 7:31 

arvika wrote:
Olympus recorders is pain in the (you know where ;) ). Last time I meet similar problem. Even Olympus support not know how these files are encrypted. It is ridiculous...

You can try soft recommended by fzabkar, but if I good remember files must be in proper dir and have proper names to be visible by soft.

BTW Arvika Sir ,
Mine Is Already Paining BTW :lol: .Flash Is Not Easy .BTW DDrecovery Might Be You Can Get Hold Of similiar Unit And Manually Dump The Extracted Files To That Device Using Its Prop Software [ If It does Not Work Directly ]

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: October 26th, 2016, 11:01 

Thanks for the input everyone. Arkvia was right, the Olympus software is just a medium to download files from the Voice Recorder, organize and play them. It cannot play the raw files. Here is the 'official' response from Olympus:-

Unfortunately, it is not possible to playback this type of file out side the recorder, as this uses a proprietary audio codex only available for playback in this type or recorder. We have gotten this type of request in the past, however, Olympus Tokyo has made it quite clear that this is not possible, as there is no application or software available for the PC that can covert or playback these files. The only possible way to playback these files would be to buy another working VN-7200 recorder, and duplicate or transfer the files from one memory chip to the working chip on the good recorder. After that is achieved, the files can then be playback and copied over using another recorder or audio recording software, and the earphone out jack.

I have had a PM also with an offer of help which is great. Possibly the best option in this case (as the files are only deleted) is to try and find out how the files are flagged, mark them as live files and put the chip back on the reader.