All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A corrupted SSD and a corrupted Windows...
PostPosted: January 4th, 2017, 19:39 

Hey so I've been having major problems with my windows 10 desktop

Basically, my story starts off with a sudden crash caused by (I think) an overheating gpu whilst playing a casual game of civilisation V.
My desktop is an ACER AME600-EB398 supporting some no-name motherboard (acer inc. ipimb-ar), an Intel i7 3770 which is pretty good, a measely 300W of continuous power, a 2TB hard drive, a 16Gb SSD containing only Windows 10, an optical drive and a Nvidia GT630.

The crash lead to a blue screen with an error code 0xc000014c which I was able to fix, with massive difficulty, thanks to a boot drive that I create using the laptop I am currently using. The reason why I did not simply use a Windows recovery disk is because windows 8 came preinstalled on my computer, and of course I did not have a windows 10 cd. After repairing the blue screen and entering my computer, there were some major problems such as my inability to open the windows search or the inability to open certain apps. I was then doing some research on how to repair the problems when an error message popped up saying "Windows detected a hard dive problem", I then concluded that, based off of the blue screen crash, the instruction page given to me by Windows accompanying the error message (which I will add below), and the newly found difficulties, windows (and thus my SSD containing windows) was severely corrupted.

I then decided to try and repair the SSD with the aid of the internet, suggesting that I try to repair it using a windows Recover Disk (which I do not possess), the command prompt function ChkDsk, or a windows boot drive requiring a windows recovery code (which I also do not possess but I could find IF i had the ability to open the app ProduKey which would allow me to extract the key and Factory Reset my computer and then reinstalling windows with the help of the product key).
I decided to use the Chkdsk command. At first, I ran it in read-only mode where it encountered a few problems with my computer which it cannot repair in read-only mode. Then, I ran it using /r /f /v and /b which I read might take a lot of time, which is something I have, and works very efficiently to repair corrupted drives.
After letting the repair run for ~8 hours, whilst it was stuck at 10% which I read is normal, my desktop just crashed. Unfortunately I was not present to notice what happened, but when I turned my computer back on, my monitor does not respond and says "No Signal" as if the desktop is not on.

And that let me here, to this forum, where I saw similar, but different threads and I have come to seek help in this hopeless journey

BTW, I've also recently bought a Corsair CX500 power supply which provides 500W of continuous power in order to compensate for my new MSI GeForce GTX970 which I was planning on installing in my desktop.

TL;DR My monitor does not respond to my desktop and only displays a black screen when I turn it on as if it's not connected at all ("No Signal")

Thanks for you help :D

Disk Recovery Instructions:

Instructions For Fixing Hard Disk Errors:

We strongly recommend that you backup your computer to avoid potential data loss.

After you have backed up your computer, you should contact your computer manufacturer or other hardware technical support to determine if the disk with errors needs to be repaired or replaced.

We recommend that you store these printed instructions together with the media used to back up your data (for example, the CDs or USB flash drive used to store your backup), so that everything you need to fix your computer is in one place.

The following information is provided to help the hardware technical support person diagnose the hard disk with errors.

Disk Name: SanDisk SSD U100 16GB
Volume: Unknown

Post subject: Re: A corrupted SSD and a corrupted Windows...
PostPosted: January 5th, 2017, 16:43 

Oh also, I doubled checked to be sure that the monitor is plugged in correctly, and I even tried using a second monitor I had in hand in order to verify that their was no problem with the monitor itself

PostPosted: January 5th, 2017, 18:28 

Have you already replaced the PSU ? Are you sure the cables are all connected in the correct way ?

PostPosted: January 5th, 2017, 18:36 

No I haven't replaced it yet, just said that in order to state the fact that I could if necessary.
So yes, I'm sure the cables are all connected in the correct way as I have not touched them at all

PostPosted: January 6th, 2017, 17:17 

Well, lets assume the old psu was already in its way out, and has finally given up the ghost.

Replace for the new psu, double and triple check the cables, and try powering the computer without any drives attached, just to rule out any problematic disk.