Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

An odd request from a user.

February 8th, 2017, 3:12

Hello.
I have a 1TB external HDD with Seagate brand and user said me that he lost some of files and folders because of malware. When I open the HDD then I just see the shortcuts of his files and folders but not the real file and folders. What happened to them? Some malware, hidden folders and create an infected shortcuts and...We scanned HDD via an Antivirus and now it is cleaned but what happened to files and folders?

Thank you.

Re: An odd request from a user.

February 8th, 2017, 3:23

RansomeWare?

February 8th, 2017, 3:43

jeremyb wrote:RansomeWare?

I guess not. The RansomeWare encrypt files and folders but my problem is that just shortcut of files and folders exist not Encrypt version of them!!!

February 8th, 2017, 8:23

Where do the shortcuts point to?

February 8th, 2017, 8:40

sourcerer wrote:Where do the shortcuts point to?

They are 0 byte size.
But problem solved and no file deleted. In HDD, I just find some folders like "FOUND.000" and etc that files are there :)

February 8th, 2017, 10:55

Somebody ran chkdsk on the drive. Lucky the files are still good.

February 8th, 2017, 11:02

I wish Microsoft would delete chckdsk or, at the very least, make a backup/undo file of all changes made to the MFT.

February 8th, 2017, 13:52

lcoughey wrote:I wish Microsoft would delete chckdsk or, at the very least, make a backup/undo file of all changes made to the MFT.

That would be the best thing ever.

February 13th, 2017, 12:55

labtech wrote:
lcoughey wrote:I wish Microsoft would delete chckdsk or, at the very least, make a backup/undo file of all changes made to the MFT.

That would be the best thing ever.

Agreed, ... and it could also do with having some kind of timeout followed by a warning when it is taking longer than expected to check a block.

February 13th, 2017, 23:28

It is not a good tool?

February 13th, 2017, 23:51

Definitely not

February 14th, 2017, 11:56

hack3rcon wrote:

It is not a good tool?

In general, for its real purpose, yes. However, people mistakenly use it in the wrong circumstances, where it causes more or complete file damage. It is effective in certain conditions only. As far as data recovery goes, not recommended, ever.
Post a reply