All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Data Retrieval Companies for SSD
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 12:16 

Hello. I was hoping to get some good advice for which data salvage companies to consider to salvage from and SSD drive. The price ranges from 100 to 1000 dollars so any advice offered would be extremely appreciated.

I assume these data companies would be doing things more sophisticated than simply connected an SATA to usb and hoping the drive will be read, since I've already done this. Any idea on exactly how they go about with the data retrieval?

Post subject: Re: Best Data Retrieval Companies for SSD
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 12:23 

TTU wrote:
I assume these data companies would be doing things more sophisticated than simply connected an SATA to usb and hoping the drive will be read, since I've already done this. Any idea on exactly how they go about with the data retrieval?

Ye, its called sophisticated and very expensive HARDWARE and software and of course knowledge
also (sometimes needed) goes by the name chip off and same here sophisticated and very expensive HARDWARE and software and of course knowledge

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 12:30 

jermy wrote:
Yes, its called sophisticated and very expensive HARDWARE and software and of course knowledge
also (sometimes needed) goes by the name chip off and same here sophisticated and very expensive HARDWARE and software and of course knowledge

+1. But I would add if they are charging $100 then they are not a professional data recovery company. They are the ones who will just connect to a SATA port and hope for the best. Minimum price would probably be around $495. Some of the larger companies with bigger overheads may charge several thousands.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 12:48 

ddrecovery wrote:
jermy wrote:
Yes, its called sophisticated and very expensive HARDWARE and software and of course knowledge

+1. But I would add if they are charging $100 then they are not a professional data recovery company. They are the ones who will just connect to a SATA port and hope for the best. Minimum price would probably be around $495. Some of the larger companies with bigger overheads may charge several thousands.

Agree, $100 is suspiciously cheap. Probably just a hook to get you to send the device in and then the price miraculously gets jacked up.

Yours is quite possibly a firmware related issue, but you’ve given no details on to what the device actually is so it’s impossible to offer any other advice.

Our pricing for a fw related issue starts from £395 plus tax, but if it’s a SandForce chipset SSD then it could easily be 5x that :-(

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 14:02 

Hi guys. Thanks for your replies. There are so many places that offer these services. I have no idea where to start really.

I made a thread but it is not showing up for some reason. Here is what the thread.

My SSD hardrive failed in my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop a few weeks ago with a "No Bootable Devices Found" error message at startup BIOS.

I was hoping some of you have experience salvaging data in these type of situations.

What I've tried

I tried loading Ubuntu on a thumb drive to try to access the hard drive -- no go. The drive did not show up in the devices list.
I tried reconnecting the hardrive drive from the labtop in case there was a faulty connection and to reset the drive, no go.
I tried using SATA to usb cable to see if I can clone the drive, but the drive is not being read. It shows the Cable interface is connected with 0MB connected to it.
When booting, I could not find the drive in the list. When I used ubuntu via USB, the usb did show up and was booted from.
Questions
Does windows 10 have any security features which would prevent ubuntu from reading the hard drive?
What Happened Prior To Failure
I was connecting a new vizio tv to the laptop via hdmi 2 when I noticed the drive began to be sluggish. Task manager showed 100 percent memory disk usage so I rebooted while it was in this state. Never got it running again. The initial boot a memory test ran and showed no errors were preset. The boots that followed showed no bootable devices found.
Hard Drive
The Hard Drive in question is a LITEON SATA SSD 512 GB
Windows 10
Dell Inspiron 15

I know this is a long shot, but figured I'd ask to see if I can somehow manually salvage the data. If I can't find a solution myself, I might have to send it off to a data retrieval company, which is very expensive. Any advice?

Attached are a few error messages and the hard drive information.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2U6l ... FlOVzVTRms

Someone else mentioned "sounds like the drive itself is dead most likely the data is still on the flash chips and failure is in the logic board (hard problem) or power easier problem."

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 14:55 

SSD's rarely have logic board failure (but not impossible). Most times they have firmware failure which does require special equipment. One piece of equipment to resolve firmware issues costs about $10,000. This gives you an idea of the type of investment data recovery companies put into just one of the many pieces of equipment needed on a daily basis. If you are proficient in electronics you can test various parts of the logic board for failure. But this is not recommended as you can do more damage to the drive and make the data unrecoverable.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 15:31 

I see. I just hope it's possible to save the data. I am willing to pay however much I need to insofar as as I'm not overpaying relative to other companies.

Is there anything else on my end that I can try to help save the data and or troubleshoot the cause of damage (without causing more damage)?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 15:33 

ddrecovery wrote:
SSD's rarely have logic board failure (but not impossible). Most times they have firmware failure which does require special equipment. One piece of equipment to resolve firmware issues costs about $10,000. This gives you an idea of the type of investment data recovery companies put into just one of the many pieces of equipment needed on a daily basis. If you are proficient in electronics you can test various parts of the logic board for failure. But this is not recommended as you can do more damage to the drive and make the data unrecoverable.

You don't need to be proficient in electronics to do basic testing. You just need to know how to measure a voltage using a $5 multimeter. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be messing with a client's data. I can help the OP with any measurements. I just need to see detailed photos of each side of the PCB.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 15:43 

I am willing to take as many photos or videos as needed. I don't have a multimeter though. I would need to buy one.

If I do, what do I need to measure. Once I get the measurements, how can I use them to help solve the problem or diagnose it? Will knowing more in depth the cause of the problem help me when dealing with the data salvage companies?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 15:58 

I always start troubleshooting any PCB by measuring the onboard supply voltages. If one or more of these is missing or out of spec, then there is often a simple DIY solution. Your next step depends on what we find.

I'll mark the test points on your photos. If you have a CCD (not CIS) scanner, then scan the PCB instead.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 16:00 

fzabkar wrote:
You don't need to be proficient in electronics to do basic testing. You just need to know how to measure a voltage using a $5 multimeter. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't be messing with a client's data. I can help the OP with any measurements. I just need to see detailed photos of each side of the PCB.

My proficiency comment was also meant as a general comment. Opening the drive can be tricky (although this none isn't) and damage can be done to the logic board. Also a lot of data recovery companies will charge more if the drive has already been opened as you never know whats been done and can make our jobs harder. Also the warranty may be voided but you may not be concerned about that. TTU if you do want to test the board, fzabkar is your man. He knows what he's doing.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 16:14 

Okay, photos coming up. Few things first though so I'm clear understanding some things. What is a PCB?

I don't have a CCD scanner (I had to google it :))

I will have to go buy a multimeter though. I'd like to be cautious though as I'm not sure what I'm doing. I hope it is safe to test.

I already removed the SSD drive and have it stored in a safe place. I was planning on simply shipping the drive to a salvage company, and not the whole computer. I'm actually using the computer with a new hard drive to type this and help solve the problem. When you mean drive, I assume you mean opening the SSD drive itself and not the computer @ddrecovery, is this right?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 16:18 

Most of my SSD recoveries, using PC3K SSD are charged $350 CAD (in USD here)

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 16:24 

TTU wrote:
When you mean drive, I assume you mean opening the SSD drive itself and not the computer @ddrecovery, is this right?

You are indeed correct.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 16:27 

ddrecovery wrote:
TTU wrote:
When you mean drive, I assume you mean opening the SSD drive itself and not the computer @ddrecovery, is this right?

You are indeed correct.

Thanks. Would I have to open the SSD drive to perform the tests fzabkar mentioned?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 16:34 

TTU wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:
TTU wrote:

You are indeed correct.

Thanks. Would I have to open the SSD drive to perform the tests fzabkar mentioned?

Yes you would.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 16:56 

I see. If I can't find a simple DIY solution, how much more would a company charge me knowing I already opened up the SSD drive? How complicated would the DIY solution be if it were a simple problem? I'm kind of just wondering if the safest thing would be to just send it off somewhere so I don't mess things up :oops:

Also, a lot of these companies are claiming tno charge is they can't salvage the data. Is this an accurate claim with no strings attached?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 17:02 

I can't speak for all data recovery companies, but reputable companies do have a no data no fee guarantee. As someone stated earlier, the ones to watch are the bait and switch kind who say they can do it for $100. When they get the drive this will go up to $1,000.

As for the additional cost (if any) for a pre-opened drive, that is up to each company. We all class this type of recovery a little different. If you want to PM me your location, I can recommend a reputable company in your local area.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 17:23 

lcoughey wrote:
Most of my SSD recoveries, using PC3K SSD are charged $350 CAD (in USD here)

Hi, can you expand on the whole process? Do you have a no data no pay gurantee, or free estimation?

On that note, doing a bit of research, it seems there are quite a lot of companies that offer the no data, no pay policy, as seen here.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 17:30 

Thanks for all of your help so far. I'd like to do as much troubleshooting myself if possible but am a little cautious since I'm not sure what I'm doing and the data is very valuable to me. If it is reasonably safe, I'm willing to take the risk and open the SSD drive myself and hope I can salvage the data myself insofar as not being able to won't set me back too much financially. If a company will charge 100 extra dollars for a opened SSD, perhaps the risk reward ratio is too high. The real question is what are the chances its a simple solution? If its slim, maybe my best bet is to find a god company to handle things from here on.