Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

USB Lexar 128GB S45 Jumpdrive Failure?

January 16th, 2018, 0:43

I have a Lexar 128GB S45 USB flash drive. It seems to have failed.

It is initially recognized but responds extremely slow. It will show the directories and files, but when I try to copy any files the transfer eventually fails with data not readable. The blue LED indicator pulses like normal when first inserted, but then pulses very slowly.

I can't eject the drive once it is recognized.

I am hoping I might be able to recover some of the files. I can get access to a solder station, but my skills would be limited to replacing resistors or simple components.

I appreciate any help.

Re: USB Lexar 128GB S45 Jumpdrive Failure?

January 16th, 2018, 3:54

This is not Resistors/Soldering level issue
it is a Translator issue, the more you plug/eject it the more will go bad

better send it to someone with proper tools to get it for you

January 16th, 2018, 12:40

Thanks for the reply. I definitely don't want to mess with an IC. I would have attempted swapping a peripheral non-IC component, but I don't have the patience, tools or time for anything more complicated.

I contacted some local professionals to see what they would charge. The files are personal (mostly pics) and have no real value except sentimental so justifying a lot of cost to recover them will be tough.

Is it possible to give a rough guess on the cost to recover files in this situation?

January 16th, 2018, 19:11

I spoke to a local shop. The cost started at $700 for recovery that require hardware failures. The cose was based on the size of the flash. No charge if the files aren't recovered.

I understand the cost and I am sure it is warranted, but the value of the files isn't that much. Oh well. Live and learn. I was lazy in backing up.

Now I just have to accept that loss and move on with the warranty claim.

Thanks again!
Post a reply