Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

Micron C400 same as C4 repair

January 19th, 2018, 13:07

Hello,

I have a Micron C400 (from HP). My desktop cannot detect in Bios, My notebook detect it in Bios, but I cannot initialize the disk or secure erase it using Parted Magic. When using an USB adapter, I can access the smart information from my desktop, but I cannot initialize it. I was able to update its firmware from 040H to 070H using my notebook, but it still acting the same way. The curious fact is that the drive is really cold. I was suspecting a power supply issue. I opened it and measured all voltage test points and all of them are OK.

Anyone with any tip or information about it?

Re: Micron C400 same as C4 repair

January 19th, 2018, 22:25

Here is what I found so far:

The 5VF test point shows that the power sense circuit that keeps the Marvell controller in reset state is active. So the normal operation would be 5VF showing 0V. I made a few tests and if I drop the 5V power supply below 4V, the 5VF TP will show 3.2V and the Marvell will go to a RESET state.

Another info:
When I turn on the power supply it peaks to 400 mA for a second and goes to 130 mA and stays there.

January 20th, 2018, 3:25

Could you show us the SMART info? How does CrystalDiskInfo identify it, ie model number, capacity, S/N, firmware version, etc?

January 20th, 2018, 11:49

Hi,

Thanks for replying!!

Here is the Smart info.
Attachments
Smart_info_micron.jpg

January 20th, 2018, 16:00

Apart from attribute 0xBB, I can't see anything wrong in the SMART report.

The fact that you were able to apply a firmware update suggests that the drive is not password protected. Do you still have read access to the data on the drive?

January 20th, 2018, 20:26

fzabkar wrote:Apart from attribute 0xBB, I can't see anything wrong in the SMART report.

The fact that you were able to apply a firmware update suggests that the drive is not password protected. Do you still have read access to the data on the drive?

Thanks again for replying. I don't have any read access. In fact the only way I can access the SMART information is when I use an USB to SATA adapter. If I use a Sata cable connected directly to my desktop computer, the drive cannot is not recognized in Bios.

Using the USB adapter I can see the drive under Windows Disk Management. But when I try to initialize it I get the cyclic redundancy check error.

Do you know if there is a way to force the factory settings? I don't need the contents of the disk

Another strange thing is the the drive is really cold and consuming only 130mA.

January 22nd, 2018, 2:07

I don't understand what is happening, but there is a dosmcli.exe executable packaged with the firmware update. It has a "--low-format 1" option which may or may not be functional.

Analysis of Micron RealSSD C400 SED SSD Firmware Update:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1617

January 22nd, 2018, 22:50

fzabkar wrote:I don't understand what is happening, but there is a dosmcli.exe executable packaged with the firmware update. It has a "--low-format 1" option which may or may not be functional.

Analysis of Micron RealSSD C400 SED SSD Firmware Update:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1617

Thanks again. The dosmcli.exe I have don't have the --low-format option. Do you know where I can find the version that supports this option? My drive is not the SED version.

January 23rd, 2018, 0:48

Tryftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp62001-62500/sp62063.exe

January 23rd, 2018, 11:13

fzabkar wrote:Tryftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp62001-62500/sp62063.exe

Thanks. I tried it, but this one does not have the --low-format option either.

I tried the --secure-erase option. But I received the Password set Failed message.

The strange thing is that this drive is not SED and there is no password.

January 24th, 2018, 1:17

That's strange. If you type "doscmli -h", there is a "--low-format" option in the list. Perhaps it's been disabled.

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.
Post a reply