Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

ADATA USB Drive

May 1st, 2018, 16:37

Anyone know the best way to open these. The case is metallic, so presume we approach from the rear. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
20180501_133259.jpg

Re: ADATA USB Drive

May 1st, 2018, 16:44

You should be able to get a thin but sturdy blade inbetween the plastic push-in cap at the USB end and the metal casing, and prise it away.

May 1st, 2018, 17:21

pcimage wrote:You should be able to get a thin but sturdy blade inbetween the plastic push-in cap at the USB end and the metal casing, and prise it away.

That didn't work. The cap does not pry away from the casing, the plastic just breaks into pieces. I guess it is extremely well glued in. Probably time for a little experimentation.......

May 1st, 2018, 18:22

I think these are 2 halves of a shell sonicly welded together. you just need to crack the thing open down the middle of the sides. will not be able to be snapped back together but the point is data recovery, not repair.

May 1st, 2018, 18:28

HaQue wrote:I think these are 2 halves of a shell sonicly welded together. you just need to crack the thing open down the middle of the sides. will not be able to be snapped back together but the point is data recovery, not repair.

The outer casing is a one piece metal tube. So are you saying use a Dremel or similar to cut the casing? Presumably at the side to protect the controller and NAND.

May 1st, 2018, 19:23

ddrecovery wrote:
HaQue wrote:I think these are 2 halves of a shell sonicly welded together. you just need to crack the thing open down the middle of the sides. will not be able to be snapped back together but the point is data recovery, not repair.

The outer casing is a one piece metal tube. So are you saying use a Dremel or similar to cut the casing? Presumably at the side to protect the controller and NAND.

Oh, in that case, metal tube ones usually have some sort of hot glue holding it together. I normally pry off the plastic back end and heat it up with hot air gun. if you hold it with pliers, and push down on it with usb end on the table it should give after a while. of course we dont want it red hot, just enough to soften glue. Often you wreck the plastic stopper, but that doesnt matter.

you have to be careful to not hit the end of the PCB while doing all this as the plastic stopper generally slides over the PCB on top and bottom of PCB a little bit

May 1st, 2018, 21:05

Thanks for the help. I took off the bottom plastic cover first, but the board wouldn't come free from the enclosure, it was being held in place by the plastic around the connector. Heated that up and the board with connector slide out from the top side. Hope that helps anyone else who may have one.
Post a reply