All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Data Recovery on Corrupt, Write Protected 8GB USB Flash Driv
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 20:03 

Hello All,

I'm trying to recover the data from a corrupt generic 8GB USB flash drive. Some files are ok, and can be copied off. The majority of folders and files are corrupt...these are visible, but have gibberish names with jumbled characters. These cannot be copied off normally, but I have been able to copy off a few samples using different methods, but these files or folders have lost their normal properties and can't be opened. I'd like to try to repair the files system if possible, but am unable to do so because the drive shows as write protected when trying to use chkdsk, etc. (it also shows as nearly full). Can't remove the write protection using DiskPart or any other command line method that I've tried. Tried different operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux). Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Data Recovery on Corrupt, Write Protected 8GB USB Flash
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2018, 20:12 

follow the guide I wrote on a different forum to make a complete disk image of the drive. : https://line6.com/support/topic/32053-sd-card-image-amplifi-75/ then you can use data recovery software to recover files using "raw recovery" method. It will look for files in other ways than using the corrupt table.

you would use the software but instead of choosing a drive to scan, you choose the .img file you created

bear in mind the data could actually be corrupt and this is likely the best you will get.

data recovery software includes:
getdataback
R-Studio
recuva

Post subject: Re: Data Recovery on Corrupt, Write Protected 8GB USB Flash
PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 15:15 

HaQue wrote:
follow the guide I wrote on a different forum to make a complete disk image of the drive. : https://line6.com/support/topic/32053-sd-card-image-amplifi-75/ then you can use data recovery software to recover files using "raw recovery" method. It will look for files in other ways than using the corrupt table.

you would use the software but instead of choosing a drive to scan, you choose the .img file you created

bear in mind the data could actually be corrupt and this is likely the best you will get.

data recovery software includes:
getdataback
R-Studio
recuva

Thanks HaQue. Will give that a try to see what I can pull off. After that, I was hoping to try to repair the file system to correct the corrupt data, but it looks like that may not be possible.