All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: looking to buy nand reader
PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 1:52 

hi i am new to this forum and i have a question i am looking to buy a nand reader and programmer.
i am looking to be able to chip off data recover most nand flash chips i cant afforded to spend thousands.
something cheap but not crap dose anyone have any real advice please. i understand its going to be a head ache
my pcb skills are above standard i just dont want to waist any money. so if anyone knows of any kits please let me know thank you

Post subject: Re: looking to buy nand reader
PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 4:11 

The cheapest reader - from Soft center, but with license is quite expensive like others solution. You can consider buy only reader and outsource case to someone. Flash recovery is really really long journey.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 4:01 

thanks for the reply. yea i understand is going to be a really long journey. i need to be able to read TSOP TLGA BGA i have found readers on ebay and amazon like this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RT809H-EMMC ... SwjLVa4auL . would this be worth my time to buy

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 5:38 

techone11 wrote:
thanks for the reply. yea i understand is going to be a really long journey. i need to be able to read TSOP TLGA BGA i have found readers on ebay and amazon like this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RT809H-EMMC ... SwjLVa4auL . would this be worth my time to buy

I really don't know that offer, but what I would be careful about there is the speed. It seems to me to be designed for <1MB flash sizes, not >=1TB, which could result in very long read-out times if you want to recover data from larger NAND chips.

Best regards,
Philipp

PostPosted: May 27th, 2018, 6:52 

do you know any products that are under $1000 aud or $650 euro. i work in a Australian phone and computer repair shop
at the moment i can fix snapped usb connectors and board swap hard drive pcb . i can use R-studio wxforensics for basic data recovery what i cant do and what i wont to teach my self is nand recover so any directions on equipment would help me so much as this is not my shop and i will be paying for it
thank you for your directions

PostPosted: July 4th, 2018, 11:51 

I wouldn't go near those adapters on eBay, you still need a programmer to read and NAND memory is not supported by many programmers, even the ones that do support it only use the old 528/2112 page devices.

So you would only find yourself able to read the really old type 48 Pin NAND. Modern ones are very complex, some need voltage adjustment to get a clean read, then when you have NAND dump its not over there, you need to find and correct using ECC codes and find the XOR keys in order for it to even start to make sense, then you have to work out the block ordering.

NAND recovery is not for the faint-hearted. Look at this page. This descibes a very simple layout.

https://rusolut.com/visual-nand-reconst ... -software/

So my advice would be to save your money and wait until you can afford soft center (bear in mind it costs $1870 a year + you will need most of the adapters on the website, you could look at PC3000 and VNR, PC3000 has easiest learning curve.

https://www.mjm.co.uk/