HDD GURU FORUMS
http://forum.hddguru.com/

Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip
http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37085
Page 2 of 2

Author:  einstein9 [ August 4th, 2018, 3:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

ddrecovery wrote:
I am using Ubuntu 16.04 from a live USB but am having difficulty installing ddrescue on the USB. I can use R-Studio to image but the NAND is pretty unstable and keeps dropping out at about 8% done. I ham oping to image backwards and see if that makes a difference. I have tried installing ddrescue on the live USB in another system and get the same issue so it not the Surface WiFi causing the problem. Is there something special that needs to be installed in order to get ddrescue to work on a live USB?

I have also tried DEFT Zero as it has ddrescue built in but it will not boot on this Surface.


I had a case last week tried almost everything without hope finally we opened it (screen) and got shocked with the BGA316

btw booting from linux Will never work in surface no matter what..

still working on it..

Author:  HaQue [ August 4th, 2018, 6:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

I disagree about never booting from Linux. In fact I thought Jared did it already?

Author:  einstein9 [ August 4th, 2018, 6:35 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

HaQue wrote:
I disagree about never booting from Linux. In fact I thought Jared did it already?


never worked with me either from cd or usb (not sure why but it did not)

Author:  HaQue [ August 4th, 2018, 6:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

the older ones only booted from fat32, uefi mode. when creating bootcd, have to play around with the different modes, uefi,gpt, etc.. I use Rufus to create bootUSB's

I am sure I have booted to a Pro4 with hddsuperclone.. but it may have been a different tablet.

Author:  einstein9 [ August 4th, 2018, 10:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

HaQue wrote:
the older ones only booted from fat32, uefi mode. when creating bootcd, have to play around with the different modes, uefi,gpt, etc.. I use Rufus to create bootUSB's

I am sure I have booted to a Pro4 with hddsuperclone.. but it may have been a different tablet.


No Offense, but really i tried almost everything did not work by all means

Author:  ddrecovery [ August 4th, 2018, 16:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

If you read my last post I can get it to boot into Ububtu. Just can't install ddrescue with the live USB.

Author:  fzabkar [ August 4th, 2018, 17:16 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

Does "live USB" include dd?

einstein9 wrote:
No Offense, but really i tried almost everything did not work by all means

Then maybe you should outsource these jobs? There are 3 people in this thread who appear to know what to do.

Author:  data-medics [ August 6th, 2018, 10:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

It could be just the SSD itself causing the issue. Are you using a log file so you can resume where you leave off each time? 8% at a time is annoying but doable.

Author:  ddrecovery [ August 6th, 2018, 12:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

data-medics wrote:
It could be just the SSD itself causing the issue. Are you using a log file so you can resume where you leave off each time? 8% at a time is annoying but doable.

Thanks for the responses. From the 8% I was able to initially image I could see that the main partition is BitLocker encrypted. Apparently the Surface was set up by an IT guy who set a user password, so set BitLocker, but doesn't think he kept a record of the recovery key. Waiting to hear if it can be found before continuing.

Again thanks for the help.

Author:  einstein9 [ August 9th, 2018, 4:32 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

fzabkar wrote:
Does "live USB" include dd?

einstein9 wrote:
No Offense, but really i tried almost everything did not work by all means

Then maybe you should outsource these jobs? There are 3 people in this thread who appear to know what to do.


Not an option really,, and when it comes to that level i know 2... actually One to be more specific which recommended me to try something

"Knowledge Exchange" sharing experience with very few members here regardless of the cost..
I have no problem investing/wasting 2000$ buying new one (ms surface) just to find an answer in my brain am not joking the Why? and How? is very important to me

I believe only 2-5 members here know exactly what am talking about which is more than enough for me since we are a closed loop when it comes to research.

and sorry for the late reply,, was out :wink:

Author:  techone11 [ November 5th, 2018, 6:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

That's Kali for a recovery the other day it's easier to run dislocker our company dose 5-9 surfaces a week.if you need any help just pm and I might be able to help

Attachments:
File comment: Kali Linux surface pro
mmexport1541412821169.jpg
mmexport1541412821169.jpg [ 159.1 KiB | Viewed 5655 times ]
mmexport1541412828777.jpg
mmexport1541412828777.jpg [ 159.1 KiB | Viewed 5655 times ]

Author:  einstein9 [ February 26th, 2019, 4:04 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

Update here,,,

Got another case but its done this time.. it took some time to understand why/how they blocked booting from ext. devices

:wink:

Attachments:
IMG_0249.JPG
IMG_0249.JPG [ 2.83 MiB | Viewed 3977 times ]
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG [ 3.94 MiB | Viewed 3977 times ]
IMG_0248.JPG
IMG_0248.JPG [ 2.88 MiB | Viewed 3977 times ]

Author:  techone11 [ March 11th, 2019, 23:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

ddrecovery wrote:
If you read my last post I can get it to boot into Ububtu. Just can't install ddrescue with the live USB.

You can build a live ubuntu usb persistent storage thats what i do

Author:  techone11 [ September 28th, 2019, 6:05 ]
Post subject:  Re: Microsoft Surface 1807 strange chip

Nice cheers for the update

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/