All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SSD in a caddy with unsafe shutdown event
PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 4:07 

I recently bought a caddy to use with a Kingston ssd to replace the dvd drive in my laptop. Everything works correctly except for one fact. While checking the SMART parameters I noticed that "unsafe shutdown count" value is almost same as power on counts. To be precise it is just one less than power on count. I tested & confirmed that after every shutdown/restart this "unsafe shutdown count" value increases exactly by 1. There are no errors in windows event log too. I know that some ssd/hdd caddy comes with a dip switch which helps in issues with sleep/restart/shutdown/high cpu usage even when idle when using such caddy but I am facing none of these issues. Only issue I am facing is this "unsafe shutdown count" with ssd in caddy on dvd drive port, hdd in primary sata slot show no such issue even after addition of ssd/caddy.

How bad is this issue for a ssd & would it help if I get a caddy with a dip switch & try different switch positions(though I doubt it)?

Post subject: Re: SSD in a caddy with unsafe shutdown event
PostPosted: August 12th, 2018, 10:48 

I did some more testing & these are the result:
1.If I do a normal shutdown via OS then on next boot the value of shutdown event remains unchanged.
2.If I put laptop in hibernation mode then on next boot again the value of shutdown event remains unchanged.
3.If I restart via OS or put the laptop in sleep mode then the value of shutdown event increases by 1.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2018, 14:09 

Hello.... some microUSB metal connectors are just too short for beacons or plastic part of the micro USB connector is too wide and USB pins do not reach the pins in the USB connector on the board. In some cases, even charging works, but data pins are just a fraction of mm too short. The connector may still work with modems

PostPosted: December 21st, 2018, 20:21 

Ive had high failure rate of Kingston drives compared to all others I've used. I think all the other brands were WD, SanDisk, Samsung, Adata and OEM drives in laptops that I have had put in as upgrade options.. these were mostly Samsung as far a I know.

Some of the Kingstons died on OS install, and didn't even get into service. This is in an educational environment, approx. 300 - 400 drives, given a bit of a workout as you could imagine with poor shutdown procedures, laptops going flat and users shutting lids etc.

I have not done any real study, but Kingstons I will never buy.

check for any firmware updates. It may be that you can ignore these values, maybe look on other forums where the drive is discussed in depth, if there is any.