All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 12:15 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 11th, 2013, 17:01
Posts: 1036
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
What's the best way to remove this monolith? If I had to guess I would say its glued so use a little heat??


Attachments:
20181018_091054.jpg
20181018_091054.jpg [ 2.49 MiB | Viewed 1277 times ]
20181018_091006.jpg
20181018_091006.jpg [ 2.9 MiB | Viewed 1277 times ]

_________________
HDD, SSD, Flash and RAID Data Recovery
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 13:27 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: April 3rd, 2011, 0:19
Posts: 1870
Location: Providence, RI
No, I don't believe it's glued (that's what I thought the first time I got one of these too). I'm pretty sure there's a little clip in the back that's holding pressure down on the monolith.

The only effective method I've found is to use a tiny pair of diagonal cutters and slowly cut the two corners on the side of the casing opposite of where the monolith is. Then I just keep peeling it back like an old can of sardines until I can get to the clip and cut it.

I'm sure someone else here has a more "elegant" solution, but this way has always worked for me. It's just funny to see the customer's face when you hand it back to them afterward. :lol:

_________________
Data Medics - Hard Drive, SSD, and RAID Data Recovery Service Company


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 14:22 
Offline

Joined: October 24th, 2009, 15:22
Posts: 583
Location: Poland
data-medics wrote:
The only effective method I've found is to use a tiny pair of diagonal cutters and slowly cut the two corners on the side of the casing opposite of where the monolith is. Then I just keep peeling it back like an old can of sardines until I can get to the clip and cut it.

I'm sure someone else here has a more "elegant" solution...


+1. I do it same way.

_________________
Odzyskiwanie danych


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 14:25 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 11th, 2013, 17:01
Posts: 1036
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Thanks guys. Cutters it is.

_________________
HDD, SSD, Flash and RAID Data Recovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 15:16 
Offline

Joined: November 29th, 2006, 10:08
Posts: 7215
Location: UK
arvika wrote:
data-medics wrote:
The only effective method I've found is to use a tiny pair of diagonal cutters and slowly cut the two corners on the side of the casing opposite of where the monolith is. Then I just keep peeling it back like an old can of sardines until I can get to the clip and cut it.

I'm sure someone else here has a more "elegant" solution...


+1. I do it same way.


+2 here. The old sardine can job :-)

_________________
PC Image Data Recovery
www.pcimage.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 18th, 2018, 17:27 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 4th, 2012, 1:35
Posts: 3169
Location: Adelaide, Australia
these are often held in with double sided tape. heating them up, they slide out easily.
It is easier to put drive on 45 degree angle, "sand" or grind the corner until it parts, than actually cut it. less chance of damaging it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 19th, 2018, 4:51 
Offline

Joined: July 30th, 2012, 3:37
Posts: 240
Location: Fairfield, CT USA
I use heat and tweezers

_________________
Recover My Flash Drive


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2018, 18:50 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 11th, 2013, 17:01
Posts: 1036
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
To give you an update, we had to use cutters on this one. but it came out fine.
However looks like a newer pinout. I checked out Arvika's pinouts and it is not listed.


Attachments:
20181022_154806.jpg
20181022_154806.jpg [ 2.61 MiB | Viewed 963 times ]

_________________
HDD, SSD, Flash and RAID Data Recovery
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 1:58 
Offline

Joined: November 29th, 2006, 10:08
Posts: 7215
Location: UK
I expect MichaƂ or Jeremy would be able to RE this pinout :-)

_________________
PC Image Data Recovery
www.pcimage.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 2:45 
Offline

Joined: October 24th, 2009, 15:22
Posts: 583
Location: Poland
Yes, it is new pinout. There should be no problem with the development ;)

_________________
Odzyskiwanie danych


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 9:59 
Offline

Joined: July 30th, 2012, 3:37
Posts: 240
Location: Fairfield, CT USA
I remember working on this case for fun. I have all the project files but for some reason can't find the signals/notes in any of my notebooks. If I remember correctly not all the signals are using pads and some of the pads are duplicates, there were one or two signals that were attached to via's.


Attachments:
Kingston-USB-3.jpg
Kingston-USB-3.jpg [ 155.57 KiB | Viewed 875 times ]

_________________
Recover My Flash Drive
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 12:12 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 11th, 2013, 17:01
Posts: 1036
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
jeremyb wrote:
I remember working on this case for fun. I have all the project files but for some reason can't find the signals/notes in any of my notebooks. If I remember correctly not all the signals are using pads and some of the pads are duplicates, there were one or two signals that were attached to via's.

Looks like you might get another one from me....

_________________
HDD, SSD, Flash and RAID Data Recovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal
PostPosted: October 24th, 2018, 22:56 
Offline

Joined: July 30th, 2012, 3:37
Posts: 240
Location: Fairfield, CT USA
Let me get caught up, I got my new "correct" monolithic interface PCB's today... thankfully they work..

_________________
Recover My Flash Drive


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group