Switch to full style
CompactFlash, SD, MMC, USB flash storage. Anything that does not have moving parts inside.
Post a reply

Kingston Monolith Chip Removal

October 18th, 2018, 12:15

What's the best way to remove this monolith? If I had to guess I would say its glued so use a little heat??
Attachments
20181018_091054.jpg
20181018_091006.jpg

Re: Kingston Monolith Chip Removal

October 18th, 2018, 13:27

No, I don't believe it's glued (that's what I thought the first time I got one of these too). I'm pretty sure there's a little clip in the back that's holding pressure down on the monolith.

The only effective method I've found is to use a tiny pair of diagonal cutters and slowly cut the two corners on the side of the casing opposite of where the monolith is. Then I just keep peeling it back like an old can of sardines until I can get to the clip and cut it.

I'm sure someone else here has a more "elegant" solution, but this way has always worked for me. It's just funny to see the customer's face when you hand it back to them afterward. :lol:

October 18th, 2018, 14:22

data-medics wrote:The only effective method I've found is to use a tiny pair of diagonal cutters and slowly cut the two corners on the side of the casing opposite of where the monolith is. Then I just keep peeling it back like an old can of sardines until I can get to the clip and cut it.

I'm sure someone else here has a more "elegant" solution...

+1. I do it same way.

October 18th, 2018, 14:25

Thanks guys. Cutters it is.

October 18th, 2018, 15:16

arvika wrote:
data-medics wrote:The only effective method I've found is to use a tiny pair of diagonal cutters and slowly cut the two corners on the side of the casing opposite of where the monolith is. Then I just keep peeling it back like an old can of sardines until I can get to the clip and cut it.

I'm sure someone else here has a more "elegant" solution...

+1. I do it same way.

+2 here. The old sardine can job :-)

October 18th, 2018, 17:27

these are often held in with double sided tape. heating them up, they slide out easily.
It is easier to put drive on 45 degree angle, "sand" or grind the corner until it parts, than actually cut it. less chance of damaging it

October 19th, 2018, 4:51

I use heat and tweezers

October 23rd, 2018, 18:50

To give you an update, we had to use cutters on this one. but it came out fine.
However looks like a newer pinout. I checked out Arvika's pinouts and it is not listed.
Attachments
20181022_154806.jpg

October 24th, 2018, 1:58

I expect Michał or Jeremy would be able to RE this pinout :-)

October 24th, 2018, 2:45

Yes, it is new pinout. There should be no problem with the development ;)

October 24th, 2018, 9:59

I remember working on this case for fun. I have all the project files but for some reason can't find the signals/notes in any of my notebooks. If I remember correctly not all the signals are using pads and some of the pads are duplicates, there were one or two signals that were attached to via's.
Attachments
Kingston-USB-3.jpg

October 24th, 2018, 12:12

jeremyb wrote:I remember working on this case for fun. I have all the project files but for some reason can't find the signals/notes in any of my notebooks. If I remember correctly not all the signals are using pads and some of the pads are duplicates, there were one or two signals that were attached to via's.

Looks like you might get another one from me....

October 24th, 2018, 22:56

Let me get caught up, I got my new "correct" monolithic interface PCB's today... thankfully they work..
Post a reply