All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Micron P400m / Marvell 88SS9187 SSD
PostPosted: October 27th, 2018, 9:35 

Hi, guys.
I've got 10 kgs of used SATA SSDs, pulled out from decommissioned storage array. I can't refurbish and resell them but still I may use them for my own purposes.

SSDs are Micron P400m / MTFDDAK200MAN that are formatted with 520 byte sectors. Therefore they are cannot be used directly neither by Windows nor Linuces.
My attempts to change sector size (setblocksize, sg_format etc.) were refused with "Invalid cdb parameter", the block size, I suppose. Even DCO restore and secure-erase did not change the situation.

I've got vendor firmware (not OEM) that consists of two binaries (bootloader.bin+firmware.bin) and a text file that gives me a parameters for hdparm (in fact, only obvious --fwdownload and a file name).
My attempts to upload produce the consistent results: bootloader.bin upload finished successfully, but firmware.bin either not uploaded at all (if pause after bootloader is shorter than 2 secs) or finished with "bad/missing sense data". Both DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE/"Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE" are enabled, Linux kernel lock disabled by hot-replugging the drive. I can enumerate data pages with sdparm but I don't know what to look at.

The device has open connector inside (JTAG?) and I didn't plug my protocol analyzer on it yet. Possibly a serial interface, but I'm not sure.

Could anyone give me a hint? No data on drive, so I'm free to experiment and may burn some, no problem.

Attachments:
IMG_20181027_152737.jpg
IMG_20181027_152737.jpg [ 2.52 MiB | Viewed 14997 times ]
IMG_20181027_152724.jpg
IMG_20181027_152724.jpg [ 2.35 MiB | Viewed 14997 times ]

Post subject: Re: Micron P400m / Marvell 88SS9187 SSD
PostPosted: October 28th, 2018, 3:40 

Always wanted to try this on SSDs...

Do you sell those SSD`s as its?

Will buy few (if you are selling separate pieces not all of them) for our research
let me know

Thnx

PostPosted: October 28th, 2018, 17:37 

einstein9 wrote:
Always wanted to try this on SSDs...

Do you sell those SSD`s as its?

Will buy few (if you are selling separate pieces not all of them) for our research
let me know

Thnx
I'm not sure that devices will be allowed to cross the border. We have very restrictive rules on sending information storage devices. Still we can give it a try if it's possible to send to a person, not company address. How many do you want?

PostPosted: October 8th, 2020, 6:04 

I have same drive. Did you manage to change firmware ?
Could you please upload that vendor firmware somewhere so I can try ?

Thanks

olegkirillov wrote:
Hi, guys.
I've got 10 kgs of used SATA SSDs, pulled out from decommissioned storage array. I can't refurbish and resell them but still I may use them for my own purposes.

SSDs are Micron P400m / MTFDDAK200MAN that are formatted with 520 byte sectors. Therefore they are cannot be used directly neither by Windows nor Linuces.
My attempts to change sector size (setblocksize, sg_format etc.) were refused with "Invalid cdb parameter", the block size, I suppose. Even DCO restore and secure-erase did not change the situation.

I've got vendor firmware (not OEM) that consists of two binaries (bootloader.bin+firmware.bin) and a text file that gives me a parameters for hdparm (in fact, only obvious --fwdownload and a file name).
My attempts to upload produce the consistent results: bootloader.bin upload finished successfully, but firmware.bin either not uploaded at all (if pause after bootloader is shorter than 2 secs) or finished with "bad/missing sense data". Both DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE/"Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE" are enabled, Linux kernel lock disabled by hot-replugging the drive. I can enumerate data pages with sdparm but I don't know what to look at.

The device has open connector inside (JTAG?) and I didn't plug my protocol analyzer on it yet. Possibly a serial interface, but I'm not sure.

Could anyone give me a hint? No data on drive, so I'm free to experiment and may burn some, no problem.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2021, 3:42 

Hi,
any news on this?
I have some of them that I would like to try to use but with the 520b sector they are basically paperweight...

If someone can provide the firmware I also can try...

Thanks!