All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dead HDD question
PostPosted: November 4th, 2018, 8:00 

Hi everyone, I have been using a 1TB Barracuda HDD as my file storage drive on a desktop. Recently it started disappearing from the file manager and/or the disk manager. I could reboot and it would be there for a while and then vanish again. When it was available, it worked fine. then that stopped working too. I have a separate SSD for the OS and programs.

Unfortunately, the last backup failed as well and there are some files I'd like to retrieve. As part of a larger plan, I just built a new PC and moved the old spinner over in hopes that the new and improved UEFI would spot it. No dice.

The motor works fine and it spins quietly. My guess is the either the optical reader is shot or there is a problem with the SATA connection. I tried different ones on both the old and new mobo.

In researching this, most of what I've found is solutions for mechanical failures for the spinning apparatus but I haven't seen much for when it won't talk to the rest of the system. It wasn't dropped or unduly dirty. My guess is the media is fine since it would come and go. But that's a guess and my history with computer guesses is spotty

If anyone has some ideas on how to approach this, I'd like to hear them. Taking or sending it to a recovery services isn't out of the question but if these are symptoms of something less extreme, that's good too. thanks for thinking of this, Skip