All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recovering Data From SD Card
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2020, 17:18 

Hello, so I have a backup of all my files in a 20GB RAR from back in the day. I had a fair amount of nostalgic things in it. Which sadly I forgot the password to it. I tried to use RAR2John which spits out that it is a "rar:$RAR3$*0*00000" file. I had thought I wiped the SD card before hand, but I must have stopped mid wipe. Interestingly half of the file is zeroed out when I look at it through a hex editor. This is rather interesting to me since I have been able to recover certain files from RAR files that have been half overwritten. Although I have opened it and it asks for a password so it doesn't look like it is corrupt. I have been at this for a few days and I am at a loss. I tried using other software like Kraken and etc to brute force it, but I heard Hashcat was the way to go, but it only uses hashes. So of course that is what I cannot get. Is there a RAR2John alternative? I know that the RAR was zipped using an old version of WINRAR, so I wonder if there are exploits out to circumvent the password.

If anyone can help me, thanks in advance.