All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WD Green SSD 480GB Short Pins board Location SM2258XT
PostPosted: January 17th, 2023, 13:09 

I notice that the 2-pin "jumper" on the last PCB is connected to pins 6 and 7 of the TSOP48 NAND. That's Ready/Busy*. Since this pin is open drain, it would be OK to short it to ground. Therefore I'm wondering whether a general rule for accessing safe mode in SanDisk controllers might be to short R/B* to ground.

PostPosted: January 17th, 2023, 18:36 

I had just a doubt about the L3, it took around 3 minutes to give a stable result after a long countdown, this didn't show up as a healthy part, compared to L2 and L4 that gave a stable result after a seconds.
Anyway, according to the image, my IC Chips is labeled as '79EJ V079', and it seems to be related to LM10506TME-C or LM10506TMX-C, ordering one or the other doesn't makes any difference or it really makes difference ?
Your answer is appreciated for then placing an order, thanks very much

Attachments:
F89d9yu.png
F89d9yu.png [ 80.25 KiB | Viewed 8397 times ]

PostPosted: January 17th, 2023, 18:53 

Ready/Busy, open drain, short R/B* to ground, what a great pleasure would be to understand what you mean !!!
For my skill, (0,1) ordering an IC Chips and be able to solder it on board I think it would be like to climb the everest mountain

PostPosted: January 17th, 2023, 22:00 

The E and X denote the package quantity (250 / 3000).

Digikey has the A version but not the B, C and D versions.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/base-product/texas-instruments/296/LM10506/93682

I congratulate you on finding a datasheet.

I came up empty here:

https://www.ti.com/packaging/docs/partlookup.tsp

... and here:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm10506.pdf

Here are the version differences:

https://e2e.ti.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/196/LM10506_5F00_LM10504-version-differences.pdf

PostPosted: January 17th, 2023, 22:23 

LM10506TME-C, Texas Instruments, PMIC, 3 x bucks + 1 x LDO, marking V079, DBGA-34:
https://datasheet.datasheetarchive.com/originals/library/Datasheets-IS94/DSAH00695519.pdf

It seems to me that the C version can be substituted with the base version. TABLE 1 shows that the Output Voltage Configurations for LM10506 and LM10506-C are the same. The ordering information section of the datasheet states that the C version has a "soft start in bypass mode" and "the buck 1 vout is discharged for 8ms via an internal pulldown after a UVLO rising event".

PostPosted: January 18th, 2023, 10:39 

Ordered the LM10506TME from Aliexpress, feedback seems to be ok, brand seems to be original Texas Instruments, from this link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... 3696VpsPI5
Then I wrote to Alibaba for getting the exact IC Chips LM10506TME-C but it seems to be a long wait, but if possible I get it too.
Honestly I skipped the Digi-key because it was a really massive shipment cost, more than 30 USD.
A question, but, if replacing L3, how is it possible to define the right capacitor ?? (wich size), how is possible to reach this info, only by data-sheet ??

PostPosted: January 18th, 2023, 10:45 

It would probably have been easier just to have ordered a donor drive from ebay. The inductor ?L3? shouldn't need to be replaced, it's getting no voltage the PMIC provides the voltage.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2023, 13:31 

I don't order ICs from Chinese sources - too many fakes. Instead I stick with Digikey, Mouser, Farnell/Newark, RS-Online.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2023, 13:57 

I understand your choice, but I don't want to repair it, I just want to revive it for about 30 minutes or so, the time I need to save my files and nothing more

PostPosted: January 18th, 2023, 14:10 

Many fakes don't even work. They can be a completely different remarked IC in the same package.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2023, 14:00 

while waiting for the part arriving, (just today arrived all things for soldering, flux, etc.)
I just want to really thanks all of you for your kind support, really really THANKS !!!
very much appreciated

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2023, 10:13 

Hi, from Perú. I've same board and need recover data.
R19, R58 = 5V
L2 = 2.74V
L3 = 1.81V
L4 = 1.24V
PC set letter for Hard Drive, but no data or property info is displayed. simply lagged.
any suggestions

PostPosted: February 4th, 2023, 13:26 

@zender07, those supplies look OK. Your firmware has probably "panicked" due to bad NAND, or has gone busy while trying to recover from NAND errors.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2023, 10:50 

Hi to all, after a long nightmare, I received the chip today.
After yours reply, I decided to cancel the order from aliexpress 1-2 days after the purchase and ordered the chip from Mauser.
Didn't receive any update news for all this time from Mouser about the chip so then 2 weeks ago I wrote a request-info about where was the chip.
One weeks ago Muser replied to me by sayng that the chip I purchased was no longer available in single item but only by ordering 3000 chips set.
Four days ago, canceled order from Mouser and ask for refund by then ordered from Digikey, and chip arrived today, Mouser refund also arrived today, what a mess !!

PostPosted: March 8th, 2023, 18:08 

How can I approach to solder the chip ?
Using soldering iron or air-flow solder ?
Witch temperature it need to be set to un-stick the older chip and to apply the new chip ?
Then I will try my first chip replacement ..
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: March 9th, 2023, 4:33 

matthew555 wrote:
How can I approach to solder the chip ?
You've never done any smd work? Before trying on your drive you will need to practise on something, this isn't the type of thing you can just pick the tools up and start doing. There are lots of youtube videos on microsoldering - best to watch a few.

Everything is going to be specific to your tools but here's the process.
Generally around 350c and 60% air flow, flux the chip, heat with the air, remove the chip. Rework the pads with leaded solder, wick clean, tin the pads with solder again, flux.
Place the chip watch for pin 1 orientation, heat until surface tension pulls it into place.
Stop, remove heat and let solder solidify.
Apply slight downwards pressure with tweezers, reflow to ensure the chip is flat.
Clean up any overspill with the iron.

Clean area and flux with IPA and cotton swab.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2023, 14:06 

Lardman wrote:
You've never done any smd work? Before trying on your drive you will need to practise on something, this isn't the type of thing you can just pick the tools up and start doing. There are lots of youtube videos on microsoldering

right what you said, I prepared everything but I did a complete pandemic mess !!!
in the first attempt I blew over the chip at temperature you mentioned and used a tweezer to try to remove the chip out and broken little bit the chip's border, then, second attempt, I used a lever from the bottom to help the chip being removal with the intent to don't break the chip's border no more and at same time used to flow hot air on it, results, I guess I didnt flow hot air enough because the solder tin had not melted correctly, at same time I used too much force on pushing out the chip and in one single move I received the chip out together the tin and printed joints in the board, so I said goodbye to all my files inside, the funny things here is that now I have the Digikey's chip new and never used and one more chip arrived from china just because before starting all this mess I decided to have a second chip for reserve, this was my un-fortunately story of my first (and I guess last) smd work on fixing hdd ssd .

PostPosted: April 18th, 2023, 14:34 

matthew555 wrote:
I used too much force on pushing out the chip and in one single move I received the chip out together the tin and printed joints in the board, so I said goodbye to all my files inside
This sort of thing really isn't as easy as it looks, we've all had bad days and ripped a few pads up.

AFAIK only flash-extractor supports chip off for these, so that's an option for you to recover your data that way if the data is important.

If the drive is going in the bin and you still have an intact chip, I'm currently quiet so if you want to send it and the chip here I'll see what I can do to repair the pads and get your data free of charge. No promises though as that chip may not be the problem or there could be other problems with the drive.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2023, 7:42 

thanks anyway really, but inside the hdd there were yes important files for me but nothing that I couldn't live without, so that's ok, on next Sandisk ssd hdd I will be more carefull. Thanks alot for all your help ! really appreciated