All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SP A55 M.2 SSD acting weird
PostPosted: June 14th, 2023, 3:10 

Hi!

I have a Silicon Power A55 M.2 2280 SATA III 512GB SSD that when I bought did the following:

It wrote around 1,5 GB of data at proper 100-200 MB/sec speeds, then slowed down to about 1MB/sec and stayed there. The controller chip became so hot you couldn't keep your finger on it (strange, but the thermal SMART always shows 40 celsius). Read speeds were around 150MB/sec tops. When I applied some freezing solution sometimes it jumped to normal speeds for a few seconds, then went back to this snail like speed. This happened both inside the mobo and outside with an M.2 USB reader.

Now, when I wanted to RMA it, I plugged it in again, and it worked flawlessly. 500MB/sec reads and 150-300 MB/sec writes all the time no matter how hard I push it. The chip is hot when writing, but I can keep my finger on it... I just couldn't wrap my head around this.

Is this common with ssds or is this some kind of underlying hardware issue that might come back who knows when to haunt me and potentially keep my data as hostage?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: SP A55 M.2 SSD acting weird
PostPosted: June 14th, 2023, 3:19 

If there is a FW update for it via their utility do upgrade
if not, RMA or through it, this is FW issue

sometimes manufactures updates their ssd fw bugs (the one you have) and sometimes they correct it on their next ver