All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vertex 4 256GB dead - main chip at +100 degrees
PostPosted: June 20th, 2023, 10:24 

Good morning, I have a problem with a 256GB Vertex 4 hard drive with PCB-0246-X02 motherboard, can anyone tell me if they have had the same problem and have they been able to solve it?
When connecting the disk, it is observed in the thermal camera that the main Indilinx Chip gets to 100 degrees Celsius in 3 seconds, therefore, I disconnect the disk so as not to damage the chip further.
I have an identical donor disk and thinking that the chip is damaged, since no component is shorted, I was planning to replace the chip by reballing.
Am I right or do you suggest other tests? The disk LED lights up, but nothing is detected via USB. (Therefore, there are no shorts in capacitors.)
This afternoon I'll look at the other chip (dual regulator RT9991GQV) with quick measurements, to see if the voltages created are correct.

Thanks for everything.

Post subject: Re: Vertex 4 256GB dead - main chip at +100 degrees
PostPosted: June 20th, 2023, 10:49 

matheus300 wrote:
The disk LED lights up, but nothing is detected via USB. (Therefore, there are no shorts in capacitors.)
That's nonsense. If your controller is tipping 100c then it's mostly likely blown.

If you have the technical ability you can pull the controller - recheck the board for shorts and replace, otherwise send it to a pro.