All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moving data from SSD to NVMe (not OS drive)
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2023, 11:58 

Hello,
I would like to migrate my games drive to a larger drive. My current games drive is a samsung 500gb SSD. I would like to migrate the drive contents to a Samsung 980 pro 4.0 NVMe M2 1TB drive. Google search keeps directing me to OS drive migration. I do not want to migrate my OS to another drive. This is just my game drive (E). Do I need to (or should I) use a third party app to do this, or is it as simple as dragging the contents to the new drive? Is there something I need to do to the NVMe drive to prepare it before moving the SSD contents to it? Obviously, I want to do this correctly, or I will have many hours of downloading/reinstalling all of my games.
If there is a link to a step-by-step guide, that would be much appreciated!
Thank you for the reply!

Post subject: Re: Moving data from SSD to NVMe (not OS drive)
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2023, 16:53 

This is OS issue / question. Not SSD or NVMe or flash question. You'd be much better of asking at generic PC support type forum, Tom's Hardware, Reddit tech support sub, something like that. But I suppose use a disk imager (Acronis or something) to transfer / copy contents to new drive, remove old drive, assign drive letter e: to new drive should work.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2023, 9:24 

You can use Minitool Partition Wizard to clone SSD to NVME and it will adjust the partition size automaticaly.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2023, 12:41 

While you can use special tools for cloning the drive, I've seldom found it to be needed when it's not an OS drive. Just connect the new drive, create a GPT partition table for it, create a new simple volume and format as NTFS in Windows' built-in Disk Management tool. Then, just copy the data over the way you normally would and then make sure to assign the same drive letter in Disk Management once you've disconnected the old drive. If you intend to keep using the old drive, simply change the drive letter to something else in order to free up the E drive letter. :)

As long as the path to files is the same, applications won't know or care that anything changed.