All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ADATA SU750 - Need Help Identifying Component
PostPosted: November 21st, 2023, 13:36 

Hello. I am trying to recover the data from a ADATA SU750 SATA SSD. The drive suddenly stopped being detected by the computer both in BIOS as well as in the OS. I have tried using different computers, different adapters (such as a SATA to USB3 adapter, external SSD/HDD 2.5/3.5 dock, etc) and it behaves the same way.

I removed the PCB and began with a visual inspection. Everything looked normal. I then began probing capacitors and inductors for shorts and found none. I then took a look at the PCB through a thermal camera while it was connected to SATA to USB3 adapter and this component showed up as getting quite hot. It looks like the component marking reads "qHEJD". I tried doing some searching for this component, but was unable to find it. In my research, it appears to be some sort of voltage regulator or perhaps a step-down converter or some other type of switch. Not really sure.

There is an identical component next to it with a similar circuit and the component in question has a different voltage reading on pin #3 compared to the identical component next to it that doesn't appear to get hot. This leads me to believe the one that is getting hot and has a different voltage reading is bad and needs to be replaced.

I was hoping I could find just the component and order it rather than buy an identical new SSD to steal the component from. Hopefully someone here can help. If you need more information or pictures or voltage readings, etc. please let me know and I will get them right away. Attached is a picture of the component in question.

Thank you!

Attachments:
File comment: Possible bad component marked with red square
pcb2.jpg
pcb2.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 12780 times ]

Post subject: Re: ADATA SU750 - Need Help Identifying Component
PostPosted: November 21st, 2023, 13:46 

SY8089A1, Silergy, stepdown converter, marking qHxyz:

https://www.silergy.com/zh/download/downloadFile?id=3756&type=product&ftype=datasheet

Check the devices connected to the output side of the inductor. They could be overloading the IC.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2023, 18:06 

fzabkar wrote:
SY8089A1, Silergy, stepdown converter, marking qHxyz:

https://www.silergy.com/zh/download/downloadFile?id=3756&type=product&ftype=datasheet

Check the devices connected to the output side of the inductor. They could be overloading the IC.

Thanks! Out of curiosity, how did you manage to find the component based on the marking alone? I searched for quite awhile and couldn't determine what it was. Maybe I'm not searching properly or not using the right resource.

As far as the output side of the inductor, the only components connected to the output of the inductor is another inductor, 3 capacitors, and a resistor. The inductors are good and none of the caps are shorted. Resistor measures at 100k. Going further down the circuit, it leads directly to the NAND.

SY8089A1 Pin 3 (LX) ---> L1 inductor ----> capacitor and L2 inductor share output side of L1 -----> L1 inductor ----> 2 capacitors -----> 100k resistor ----> NAND

The other components seem ok and there are no shorts on them, so I am assuming this SY8089A1 is the culprit. I really quickly drew out the circuit to show the other components. Unless I am overlooking something, it seems I probably just need to replace SY8089A1, right?

Attached pic and the component on pic 2 is the 100k resistor

Attachments:
CIRCUIT.png
CIRCUIT.png [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 12715 times ]

PostPosted: November 21st, 2023, 19:38 

The marking style reminded me of Silergy, plus I was familiar with the way that Silergy's datasheets identified the marking code.

https://www.google.com/search?q=filetype:pdf+"absolute+maximum"+qhxyz+silergy

I use "absolute maximum" to filter out spammy web sites.

Measure the voltage at the output. I expect that you should find 1.8V or 3.3V.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2024, 14:43 

fzabkar wrote:
Measure the voltage at the output. I expect that you should find 1.8V or 3.3V.

Sorry for the late reply. Been busy with holidays and just now having some time to get back to this.

Here are the measurements I am getting:

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2024, 15:37 

Also, wanted to mention that the only other component that is heating up is the controller which is a Realtek RTS5733DMQ

PostPosted: January 4th, 2024, 14:10 

The feedback voltage is 0.6V, which means that the device is regulating properly. A supply of 1.1V would be the Vcore for the controller.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2024, 10:39 

fzabkar wrote:
The feedback voltage is 0.6V, which means that the device is regulating properly. A supply of 1.1V would be the Vcore for the controller.

I see. Well, darn. :lol:

Any ideas why this drive isn't detectable?

PostPosted: March 7th, 2024, 17:27 

techwiz wrote:
fzabkar wrote:

I see. Well, darn. :lol:

Any ideas why this drive isn't detectable?

i have SSD like yours and the controller is shorted with mine cause i becomes very hot when i connect the power

did you resolve your case ?