All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obsessed, how do I clear this "Write Protected" flag?
PostPosted: March 6th, 2008, 12:26 

Hi all,
Newb to this forum, but I have run into an annoying problem with a Patriot Xporter XT 4G Boost where somehow it got tagged as write-protected.

Details:
It does not have a switch for this purpose.
It is a week old.
I can read files at full speed.
It occurred after writing to the thumb-drive flaked out during an SVN repository update.
Flag set for both Windows XP and Ubuntu.
Cannot use recovery tools to overwrite MBR, it wont let me do ANYTHING which may write to the drive including a low level format.

I am assuming the MCU in the device has some EEPROM where a command or crash wrote the write-protected flag. Probably for support of encrypted devices.

I just need to get to this stinking register and clear the flag and I will have a working thumb drive again. Unfortunately my long, hard search has come up with nothing to expose and API for this.

I am determined to fix this thing, and have wasted more time than the already backed up data is worth. I just want to learn how to fix it.

Thanks for any ideas.

Post subject: Re: Obsessed, how do I clear this "Write Protected" flag?
PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 8:40 

I supose its always possible for the write protect to become permenantly enabled if there is just a simple dry joint on one of the flash chips. And also if a required voltage is missing to the write enable pin. Logic high or low depending.
Also there are many other protection possibilities with this kind of memory such as sector lockout (the flag?) enable/disable etc. You do need a data sheet!

Try reworking the flash chip/s with hot air and flux. This can often cure a multitude of sins.

Also if you can find a data sheet for the memory chips you would then know write enable pin/s and could experiment with setting logic high or low as required or by applying higer voltages to overide any write protection.

On some devices you can overide any protected sectors by applying 12vdc to the reset pin to enable writing/erasing.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Obsessed, how do I clear this "Write Protected" flag?
PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 11:02 

Thanks for the input. I tore into the device and got the datasheet out, and it turns out it uses the Phison PS2231. The datasheet is woefully lacking any "insiders secrets", but does indicate it has a lot more features available than what is included in the stick I have.

I checked the solder joints, even going so far as reflowing with a hot air gun (which you have to be REALLY careful with since there are parts on both sides), but it performed the same. For a minute I thought I had it since there were a few solder flakes running around under the parts, but it made no difference by removing them.

I watched the signals on the scope, and the write protect pin is in fact driven by the controller to write-protect the device. I cannot override it however since even though I could tie it high, there is no bus activity. The controller is intercepting the activity and preventing access to the memory. This is a clear indicator this controller device has or works with a "hidden" sector for security like encryption keys and options, and this sector must have been hit somehow by XP. I would be willing to bet I could pop the memory devices off and erase them and get my functionality back, but then I would run the risk of destroying the PCB in the process. I am still being granted an RMA by the manufacturer so I will send it back now. They have hinted, though not admitted, that they use a utility to initialize these devices, but it may require an ICT to get the device in the correct mode to do it easily.

One last thing, I am looking for a U3 recovery package that can tickle this secure page, and perhaps get things going again.

-Mark