All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SanDisk MicroSD - IO Error
PostPosted: August 8th, 2008, 16:17 

Hello all,

I was using SanDisk 2GB MicroSD card in my smart phone. Took it out of the smart phone and put into an adapter then that into a USB SD reader. It didn't work. The "light" would come on and then go off. System doesn't see the drive at all. Sometimes the light would stay on but the system doesn't see any drive.

Instead of the USB SD Reader, I tried it in a toshiba laptop with a built-in SD reader. Same thing seems to happen.

I downloaded a few SD "recovery"/"format" tools but none of them seems to work (can't see drive or can't read it). I tried sticking it into a camera and to have it do a format but it doesn't see the SD card. When the light is "on", I think one of the tools saw the drive but couldn't do anything with it (intelligent scan, regular, or long scan).

Any suggestions on tools or how to get more information on the problem. I have data that I would like recovered but not enough to spend more than $25 - $30 ... Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-d

Post subject: Re: SanDisk MicroSD - IO Error
PostPosted: August 8th, 2008, 17:14 

Silly question... If you put it back in your phone, does it work?

PostPosted: August 8th, 2008, 21:31 

Unfortunately, no, sticking the microSD back in the smartphone does not work. The smartphone does not see the card.

There is no "password" attached to the card/phone. The reason for the camera and "format" tools was to see if other hardware/tools could see the card. Although, if not, just getting the card back into a usable condition is okay too ....

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

-d

PostPosted: August 9th, 2008, 0:07 

You're very fortunate if the data isn't worth more than a $20 MicroSD card. The card might be salvageable (Dirty contacts, etc), but likely not, and since new flash is so dirt cheap, it's not much of a worry.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2008, 1:19 

rchadwick wrote:
You're very fortunate if the data isn't worth more than a $20 MicroSD card. The card might be salvageable (Dirty contacts, etc), but likely not, and since new flash is so dirt cheap, it's not much of a worry.

I did clean the contacts with an eraser. No joy there. Unless anyone else can come up with any additional suggestions, it's time to test out SanDisk's RMA procedures.

Sincerely,

-d

PostPosted: August 12th, 2008, 9:15 

go ahead and test the RMA :) I think this is the best you can do. Chip is probably dead or some FW tables are corrupted