All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portable iii
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2022, 9:54 

Hello friends. I am here to inquire with other portable iii users/operators about a problem where in when the unit is powered on, it fails to give any display. Fails to detect.
Only after re-powering/power cycling a couple of times, it functions normally as it should.

Let me know

Sin
--

Post subject: Re: Portable iii
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2022, 12:25 

Re-install and force an update...otherwise contact technical support.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2022, 13:13 

contact with TS is done and dusted.No grievances there. I am just seeking how many people experienced the same.

--

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2022, 20:45 

Also, I am going to upload a few interesting videos. Hope the developer sees it here. :)
TS is helpful but helpless in my case. They are ready to fix it FOR FREE! however the process of shipping back to them and getting the unit re imported is PITA.

Can't afford to ship the unit from India to Czech only to experience downtime, loss in business and export and reimport duties with TON of paperwork proving firstly that unit is being sent out for a repair and once it is shipped back, convincing the custom authorities that its the same unit being brought in again and re-explaining them what it is and what it does and what went wrong with it.

I told them quite upfront that people are very curious about portable iii in my country and I have been answering calls where people discuss the pros and cons. And it will be very hard for me to recommed portable iii. Great utility , glitchy hardware ? Glitchy for me atleast.

I would certainly not recommend a hardware like that. May be a UDMA or express system is JUST FINE and has proven its grounds since ages.
I have DDIs and they all have been working ROCK SOLID and I am pretty sure they have surpassed their service shelf life too and still rocking.

Looks like ACE feels threatned by this behaviour of true reporting to an aspirant who discusses his intent to invest into portable iii.
Mind you i have written the word ASPIRANT because managing that kind of funding is pinchy or DIFFICULT for a country that has to pay 80x.

So ya yada yada...thats my cranky story. But I have certainly tried my level best of pinpointing the fault in my unit and will put a few videos with an agenda that the developer sees it as TS will never connect me there.

HINT: Something is wrong with the temp sensor.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 2:53 

I had a defected unit few years back, i filled the form they sent then they sent me the replacement while using the defected unit and then they transferred the lic
to the new HW and by then i sent the defected unit back.

very simple and easy.. unless something in between not clear yet

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 11:02 

sin wrote:
Also, I am going to upload a few interesting videos. Hope the developer sees it here. :)
TS is helpful but helpless in my case. They are ready to fix it FOR FREE! however the process of shipping back to them and getting the unit re imported is PITA.

Can't afford to ship the unit from India to Czech only to experience downtime, loss in business and export and reimport duties with TON of paperwork proving firstly that unit is being sent out for a repair and once it is shipped back, convincing the custom authorities that its the same unit being brought in again and re-explaining them what it is and what it does and what went wrong with it.

I told them quite upfront that people are very curious about portable iii in my country and I have been answering calls where people discuss the pros and cons. And it will be very hard for me to recommed portable iii. Great utility , glitchy hardware ? Glitchy for me atleast.

I would certainly not recommend a hardware like that. May be a UDMA or express system is JUST FINE and has proven its grounds since ages.
I have DDIs and they all have been working ROCK SOLID and I am pretty sure they have surpassed their service shelf life too and still rocking.

Looks like ACE feels threatned by this behaviour of true reporting to an aspirant who discusses his intent to invest into portable iii.
Mind you i have written the word ASPIRANT because managing that kind of funding is pinchy or DIFFICULT for a country that has to pay 80x.

So ya yada yada...thats my cranky story. But I have certainly tried my level best of pinpointing the fault in my unit and will put a few videos with an agenda that the developer sees it as TS will never connect me there.

HINT: Something is wrong with the temp sensor.

Well,
if you had asked me i would have recommended you PC 3000 Express With DE And SSD Addon , You would have only missed NVME SSD which is not a big deal in india as of now ,Plus you could have saved Rs :7.5 Lakhs IMHO ,One Of My Students Tell Me It Sound Like a Washing Machine .They have This Policy

1 : You Buy a Product first time they Offer You [ Product + 1 Year TS ]
2 : You Buy The Same Product Second Time [ They Offer Product + 1 Month TS ] , They Quote You Same Price But Charge 11 Month TS Pricing Also Which They Never Give ,I Told Kate They Have This Stupid Policy and She Was Like How Can You Say This To Us And Yadaa Yadaaa .To Acelab if you consider this policy to be Alright Then You Should Sell Same Product To Same Company Minus 11 Months TS Price ,Get That Straight .....

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 14:46 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-5we8xdFBA

above is the video that describes how the bootup issue is related to temperature effect.

I use a AC(AirConditioner) and Hair Dryer to perfectly conclude this.

--

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 15:12 

@sin, what do you expect Ace to do for you? It seems to me that India's bureaucracy should be the target of your dissatisfaction, not necessarily Ace. On the other hand, if your temperature issue is a common problem, then it would be nice if Ace could tell you which component is the most likely culprit, assuming you are willing to forgo warranty replacement now and in the future.

If you insist on repairing this problem yourself, then I would be willing to help you.

Edit: I would not power up your unit by connecting a live supply to the DC socket. I would prefer to have everything plugged in, including any storage device, and then press the ON switch. If the DC supply is floating with respect to mains earth, then there may be a spark when you plug it into your portable unit, especially if you are in contact with the metalwork.

BTW, I'm wondering if this is the problem: ;-)

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 15:34 

Well, there are a couple of ways a company can help out. We fix things on behalf of our parent vendor even if the purchase is not done via us. Such customers who have purchased directly have many times opened their unit on their own and we have still fixed things for them even if the sale was not via us. It's called consideration. We know how downtime affects a DR company (no matter at whatever level they are operating, pro or newcomers).
We understand how difficult the process is to re-ship and re-import.

It's basic. It's called being considerate of the posed situation and it's called trusting someone with a piece of proprietary technology when one is providing a due legal framework to secure the originators of technology.

It's also called winning a client.

A free warranty fix is not lucrative as it's not really free and costs money (export duties and re-import duties and a hell lot of paperwork). However, they offered to extend the support for a few days or months.

I am not 100% relying on their support so it adds no value to me technically.

You are correct and they are correct that its the bureaucracy that is hampering everything.
I have stopped expecting anything from ACE. They tried their level best and expectations cause trouble in every bodies life.

Plus they would never help me connect with the developer directly or indirectly. So what's the point?

You tell me now.
--

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 15:48 

@sin, I understand your frustration, but I don't understand your expectations. Are you wanting Ace's design engineer to walk you through a chip level repair???

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 16:03 

Yes. I offered them that I can sign an NDA and have it legally registered in the Indian Judiciary system ie the local court.
This means, dare i leak anything to anyone, it can cost me massive fines or/and jail time!

Also, on talking further I don't get a conclusive response that the unit will not have a recurrent problem in the very near future(say days to months).

Neither assured that it will not fail within a few months again with the same fault even after their repairs.

So it's a risky task for me on every end.

Rather, a remote help would have solved most of the things and an assured renewed TS package.

What did they think, i would clone a 3k system and sell it in India?
Nah! I would rather design and make Ham Radios to sell. Which is more fun and pleasurable.

--

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 16:20 

I think it's unrealistic to expect that Ace would release their circuit diagrams or service manual to you, even under NDA. However, there is nothing stopping you from uploading internal photos of your unit and asking for help online.

BTW, I used to operate a computer maintenance business in Asia, so I am well aware of customs difficulties in that part of the world. I am also very conscious of downtime, as all my customers were corporate clients, and one was a large US manufacturer. I often worked outside normal hours, on site, without being asked, and I did many jobs for free. Many businesses don't factor abstract terms such as "good will" into their balance sheets. If you had been my customer, I would have gone to all reasonable lengths to accommodate your concerns.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 16:49 

well nobody asked for schematic diagrams or a service manual. It could have been solved with
1) logical analysis of the issue.
2) Generation of logs, any.
3) Triggering self-test modes.
4) Maybe a serial terminal read-out if it has one.

solving it with the help of the above.

It's hard to imagine this mode not existing in the unit. Of course, the whole Seagate DR is dependent on terminal logs and ACE knows the best to make use of it. I am sure they would apply some of the things here too

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 16:51 

thanks Fazbkar. You are considerate and always helpful to every whom you dont even know at all.

Lets see if this video makes it way to the developers.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2022, 16:52 

thanks Fazbkar. You are considerate and always helpful to every whom you dont even know at all.

Lets see if this video makes it way to the developers.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2022, 7:48 

I'm not a developer of Portable 3, but I'm familiar with them. Don't worry, your video has reached its destination.

But I would like to express my personal opinion:
Developers are quite busy people and do not repair from photographs. Moreover, the schematic diagram of the device is the know-how of the manufacturer and is not subject to disclosure. This repair must be carried out by a specialized service center. The nearest such service center is located in Prague. They will conduct a full investigation of the cause of the malfunction. If necessary, changes will be made to the circuit diagram of the device. It only works this way and nothing else.

As far as I understand, you opened the device without the consent of ACE. You violated the factory seals and thereby voided the warranty. Therefore, repairs can only be paid. And any concessions that ACE will make will only be a manifestation of their goodwill.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2022, 11:58 

Good to know it reached.
Everyone is busy from Putin to myself and everyone in between.

Who demanded a schematic diagram? It could have been simply a case where certain doubtful parts are pointed and replaced.

They will conduct a full investigation of the cause of the malfunction and If necessary, changes will be made to ckt.
Why should ACE be educated at the expense of my downtime and the difficulties of export and reimport that I have to go through?

Their suggested technique of sending them the unit back and re-importing can incur penalties and confiscation of the package under the Indian Customs Laws. If I follow their approach and the package gets caught by the RMS (risk management system). MORE TROUBLE FOR ME BY FOLLOWING THEIR suggestion to be manipulative with the LAW of LAND

I am no more seeking repairs from ACE or resolve. They tried their best to convince me to export and have it re-imported.
However the way they are suggesting is cost effective but legally can cause even more trouble to me.

End of story.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2022, 12:51 

Agrail wrote:
This repair must be carried out by a specialized service center.

Not really. You may as well say that all repairs and recoveries from Seagate drives must be carried out by Seagate, but where would that leave you?

PostPosted: July 27th, 2022, 4:26 

Hello!

PC-3000 Portable III is a sophisticated hardware-software electronic device.
It is a pity for us that this issue has happened to your tool. This is the first time we meet such a combination of the parameters of the damage.

To make diagnostics, special service manuals and testing software is needed. This documentation and software is ACE Lab know-how, is meant only for ACE Lab internal technical services and cannot be handed over. Please note that it is not allowed to interfere into the inner architecture of the device and/or make any repairs from your side.

All the equipment manufactured by ACE Lab is famous for its high reliability and corresponds with European quality standards and certificates. All the electronic components are manufactured at high-precision manufacturing in the EU. After assembling, all tools go through an obligatory multiple-step checking procedure.

ACE Lab provides a 2-year warranty for the tools.
To proceed with the warranty procedure, we requested you to send the tool back to our office in Prague where the technical team would diagnose the device and safely repair the device or, if necessary, replace the device. After the repair check by ACE Lab, all works will be conducted by qualified, specially trained personnel according to the technical documentation.

Please contact our sales representative at sales3@acelab.eu.com or our technical support via the TS Portal ts.acelab.eu.com for further help.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2022, 12:48 

ACE wrote:
Please note that it is not allowed to interfere into the inner architecture of the device and/or make any repairs from your side.

I understand that "interfering" with the unit would void the warranty, but that's as far as it goes. The owner of the equipment is free to repair the device if they so choose. In fact this is a funny statement coming from a company whose business model is based on "interference" in HDD and SSD architecture.