All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Recycle old HDDs for high speed DAQ uses?
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2008, 6:37 

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it entirely possible to re-program the firmware in the HDD controller to serve as a data acquisition device? Or, if you cant alter the firmware (ie, unknown instruction set... etc), would it be possible to modify an old HDD controller so that after it has stated up and loaded everything it requires from the SA and such, that the input for the heads be taken over and pump raw data into the thing from another source.

If so, this would be a very fast way to interface a DAQ to the computer without the complexities of trying to interface to USB, and the slowness of the parallel port.

If the hdd is based on a marvel cpu we should be able to re-write the firmware to turn the controller into an embedded device of sorts, even if it is not connected to the IDE interface, it would be a very powerful, small, embedded computer that can be used for other things.

I am looking for those that actually understand the hardware of the HDD controllers, not those that just "think it can/cant be done". I know for a fact that any CPU can be re-used for any purpose given enough time.

Post subject: Re: Recycle old HDDs for high speed DAQ uses?
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2008, 19:12 

2 words: forget it.

the HDD controller is highly specialized for reading stuff from disks in specialy coded format. Anything else U input in the reading channel will mess up the controller.
may U wish to write custom FW for a controller, I wish U luck, but the reading channel is not a good way to input data from anything else than a HDD.

pepe

Post subject: Re: Recycle old HDDs for high speed DAQ uses?
PostPosted: November 4th, 2008, 5:31 

MANY MANY years ago a company used Seagate HAWK drives the same way for digital broadcast equipment. The equipment control board connected directly with the HGA. Was a very cool piece of kit but I don't think anyone needs it now...

Trying to remember it's name but it was YEARS ago :O(