All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: motor and pcb burnt out - maxtor diamond max 9
PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 10:38 

can anyone help :(
plugged in the power lead to my drive without switching the pc off and it shorted - result - pcb and motor damaged [ know this because have had it checked]

is there anyway i can get access to the hdd as i need my business photos for 2008 and backup - everything else is not necessary

diamond max plus 9
CODE: YAR418BWO
6Y080L0422611

ANYONE :?:

Post subject: Re: motor and pcb burnt out - maxtor diamond max 9
PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 14:40 

I dont understand there could be a problem with the pcb itself but motor damage is a rare case are you sure that you have checked the motor properly ?

PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 15:14 

Uhm... PCB for sure, MOTOR unlikely BUT it is possible you have fried the preamp inside the HDA... If you don't want to put data at risk, send the drive to a pro. If the worst thing can happen is loosing some meories nothing "vital" then go on... get an identical PCB and try again. What can happen ?
1) It works. DON'T TURN OFF, BACKUP AND REPLACE (you couldn't have a 2nd chance)
2) It seems to work : drive starts but data not accessible : send to a pro
3) It clicks : fried preamp, need HSA to be replaced : send to a pro
4) The new PCB is fried as soon as you give power : send to a pro.
NOTE : the more tries, the more possible further damage.
Sorry no spoon feeding UNLESS you have clean room, all the equipment needed AND the skills to put the hands on these Calypso.
If you were near it could be fixed safely... :(

PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 15:31 

thanx 4 the reply - had it at a pc shop who hooked up another pcb which immediately got hot, technician told me he suspects the motor is damaged - the reason i dont want to send it to a pro is the prohibitive cost of the recovery so looks like 4 now im stuck :(

PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 16:05 

It depends on what "prohibitive" is (every local market is different). A quote here would be in the range of about 750$/1000$ if a platter swap / HSA necessary. It has to be done in proper clean environment, with all the safety rquirements and maybe some specific tools for the firmwre are necessary too (after mechanical repair). Well, you can put the disk safe and wait until you can afford a complete professional recovery. If you take care of the disk, data won't be at risk.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 5:35 

tonyr wrote:
the reason i dont want to send it to a pro is the prohibitive cost of the recovery so looks like 4 now im stuck :(

Then the answer is simple: The data on the drive is not worth the thousands of dollars to pay to get it back, so just put it in a drawer and get on with your life.

If you do suddenly find that the data is worth the pro DR charge, you will pay it