All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Re: Platters
PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 3:40 

Thanks for the helpful reply - you live and learn I guess. My platters look very pretty smashed into a thousand pieces.

Rob.

Post subject: Re: Platters
PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 8:55 

rob75 wrote:
I'll bear you in mind should I experience any other hard drive failures, however since I'll be ripping out any Seagate hardware asap it is not a problem I foresee occurring again anytime soon!

Be careful. Seagate might have been the drive to fail you this time, but switching brands isn't going to make your system any more reliable. Cheap hard drives are going to fail. Just be sure to backup your data, preferably in at least two different spots. That means you have at least 3 copies at any point in time. Also, be sure to verify that your backups are working on a regular basis.

I would also like to apologize for my peers. It is difficult to keep it together when you see someone make an unnecessary mistake that results in losing their data. We often forget that most people don't see things from our perspectives and are only making decisions based on what they know.

In the future, most labs offer a free evaluation. It is always advised to get the free evaluation first. If the price is too high, you can turn it down and either find a cheaper lab or take the risk yourself. If the the lab says the drive is unrecoverable, it likely is and you have saved yourself a lot of time; however, you can still get it back and get a second opinion or play with it yourself. But, if you play first, the chances of recovery at the lab go down and the price tends to go up exponentially.

Anyway, good luck with your video and I hope that you have gained some knowledge, at the very least, from this experience.

Luke