All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another platter transplant tool?
PostPosted: April 18th, 2010, 3:06 

zebong wrote:
slack wrote:
Hi,

I have SERT from approx 1 month and I solved cases which I never solved until now, for example I solved one week ago one 7200.11 ST31000333AS with motor blocked I also solved few days ago one 7200.10 ST3500830AS with the same problem.

SERT give me the guaranty that the platters are not misaligned.

Can you clone the drive 100% ?

Yes the drive ST31000333AS was clonned 100% and ST3500830AS aprox 98% but I use PC3000 and I don't really need every time to clone completely.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2010, 7:07 

slack wrote:
zebong wrote:
slack wrote:
Hi,

I have SERT from approx 1 month and I solved cases which I never solved until now, for example I solved one week ago one 7200.11 ST31000333AS with motor blocked I also solved few days ago one 7200.10 ST3500830AS with the same problem.

SERT give me the guaranty that the platters are not misaligned.

Can you clone the drive 100% ?

Yes the drive ST31000333AS was clonned 100% and ST3500830AS aprox 98% but I use PC3000 and I don't really need every time to clone completely.

Nice,

And when you ar working with the SERT, you have to make much pression ???? or the sindple hub get out nice and easy ?

PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 2:54 

I'm sorry but I can't give you details about how SERT works, I don't have this rights I'm a client of Computers Science Lab, I just want to tell you SERT is not a tool is a solution for Seagate hard drives with motor blocked , cannot be compared with HDRC or SalavationData tools where the risk of misalignment is very big, in case of SERT the risk of misalignment is 0.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 4:49 

slack wrote:
I'm sorry but I can't give you details about how SERT works, I don't have this rights I'm a client of Computers Science Lab, I just want to tell you SERT is not a tool is a solution for Seagate hard drives with motor blocked , cannot be compared with HDRC or SalavationData tools where the risk of misalignment is very big, in case of SERT the risk of misalignment is 0.

Great ,
Plus I Will Be Able To Freak Out In the Countryland when I come To Vacations ,What A Duo :mrgreen:

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 10:22 

Any feedback from reputable members yet?

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 11:49 

I do not know how reputable I am... I do not use SERT, just my own designed/machined tooling, but it works fine. I must admit that it requires the right hands to achieve good results.

pepe

PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 22:05 

Thanks pepe. Same here, but the idea of removing the platter assembly without losing alignment is attractive.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 2:05 

Actually, for me, decision based on speed/time as this translates into revenue. Prospect of repairing stuck spindle cases in 30 minutes with parts in stock on shelf is appealing to me. Simple enough. One thing that I think both CSL and hdd sync will agree on is that the procedure requires a tremendous amount of force and it is probably best left to clean room with large table. I have such a setup and cannot imagine how this could/would work on any/most laminar flow benches...that said, I should be done with quite a few different drives by day's and week's end...feel free to MSN if you like to know about my findings and results.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 3:36 

pcrecovery wrote:
Actually, for me, decision based on speed/time as this translates into revenue. Prospect of repairing stuck spindle cases in 30 minutes with parts in stock on shelf is appealing to me. Simple enough. One thing that I think both CSL and hdd sync will agree on is that the procedure requires a tremendous amount of force and it is probably best left to clean room with large table. I have such a setup and cannot imagine how this could/would work on any/most laminar flow benches...that said, I should be done with quite a few different drives by day's and week's end...feel free to MSN if you like to know about my findings and results.

PM sent.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 5:53 

pcrecovery wrote:
tremendous amount of force

Yes i know what you are saying :)

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 13:32 

mine fits on a cleanbench and does not require tremendous force...

pepe

PostPosted: May 15th, 2010, 1:09 

pepe wrote:
mine fits on a cleanbench and does not require tremendous force...

pepe

Maybe we have the same solution, may I disscuss my plan to you ?

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 17:47 

Hello Everybody,

I found this forum post by googling for ST31000333AS and I just realised that removing the platters with no professional way is a bad bad thing to do. I had a blocked motor in my Seagate and a continuous repetitive noise once it was powered.

Foolisly I removed the cover and the platters to see if I could access the motor underneath.

Is it any good to try and find a donor disk if I have missalligned the platters? Of course their order and side is kept but they have been moved freely.
Thank you in advance

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 22:40 

gulliver wrote:
Hello Everybody,

I found this forum post by googling for ST31000333AS and I just realised that removing the platters with no professional way is a bad bad thing to do. I had a blocked motor in my Seagate and a continuous repetitive noise once it was powered.

Foolisly I removed the cover and the platters to see if I could access the motor underneath.

Is it any good to try and find a donor disk if I have missalligned the platters? Of course their order and side is kept but they have been moved freely.
Thank you in advance

Sorry to say you have ruined this drive. This is just another DIY failure story.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 6:44 

sorry gulliver,
Once the platters are moved without a restraining tool you can consider any data contained on them "encrypted" possibly the strongest form of encryption known to disk engineers. :shock:

This is why I personally feel any sort of platter removal tool is "suspect". I know recovery engineers have had good results with them but the platters have to be kept in exactly the same alignment at a level measurable at a couple of micron or more accurate, even with a good tool set, success is highly dependent on the skill of the engineer,because the data is recorded in columns across multiple heads at the same time, so any sort of lateral shift = "game over" since the magnetic domains are no longer exactly aligned column wise.

I had actually considered a recovery method for such a problem, but the needed computer power to "descramble" the stack was too much.

Interestingly if you "dig" about in a couple of research programs targeting mil/government (pre 2005), there is actually a "low" cost system that was under development to attempt a recovery from any disk stack, without the original controller board and secondary amps being needed, people with experience can see what an undertaking this is.
I don't think the system got as far as being able to remove the original heads used to record the platters , but it had an excellent success rate without the original controller board.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 7:34 

Thank you Zero Alpha and code_slave for the (too late for me) infrormation.
Very much appreciated.

I know now :)

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 11:35 

:(

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 11:41 

If you're talking about signaltrace I think they got that working "okay" with platters from one particular model of old WD drive, and that was all.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 18:51 

Good man you know your history!!

Sobey Charles H., Orto Laslo & Sakaguchi Glenn (2006) Drive-Independent Data Recovery: The CurrentState-of-the-Art. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MAGNETICS, VOL. 42, NO. 2

This partially worked with a number of different brands , but yes again you are correct it was WD they had "fully" functional.

I get all hot and sweaty just looking at the hardware in fig5 :wink:

(No they will not give you access to the code and PCB layout: i already tried a few years ago)

The issue we would have today would be the speed at which the data is coming off the drive, I guess 8 heads would need multiple devices, unless you scanned 1 platter track at a time.

To be honest i was really surprised they got it working at all.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 2:10 

They sold the code to the US government. Thats why the boss retired ;o)

Anyway it worked on WD Enterprise drive (4GB SCSI) nice and easy lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next