All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Any Idea how to access Seagate Momentus Thin Drive?
PostPosted: September 7th, 2010, 21:55 

I happen to get the latest Seagate Momentus Thin Drive. However I am unable to get any information from the drive. The only information sometimes that i have gotten by powering up and off is the message "Bogus ISR" from hyterminal. Any one had any idea what it means? Or do i need to change any configuration? Not sure if they have revamp the firmware again.

Thanks in advance. :)

Post subject: Re: Any Idea how to access Seagate Momentus Thin Drive?
PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 3:30 

ISR = Interrupt Service Request

The drive probably generated some spurious data in its dying gasp.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 4:27 

I see. Hope it is just that the drive is spoiled and not a totally change of diagnostic commands.. Will try to get another Seagate Thin Momentus and test it out.. :wink:

Thx. :)

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 4:32 

If I knew, I'd tell you. However, ISTR that there was some speculation that Seagate would be making changes to serial terminal access, or eliminating it altogether. But I'm not a DR guy ...

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 5:15 

If you have the right tools you can detect if the FW was wanked AND eventually try to ... resurrect.
But in my stats if these are the symptoms the problem is "a little bit" bigger and can't be solved with only means of simple hyperterminal....

note : "a little bit bigger" is in the "a little bit pregnant" range of things...

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 6:29 

I have used PC3000, but since it is very new drive. It cannot be detected as well.
I have tried to plug it directly to the PC using SATA to USB adapter and cannot be detected at all.
The only thing I know is that someone before me had open it up in the cleanroom to have a look at it but they have not tested it on PC yet. :(

I wonder what "Bogus ISR " means. "fake Interrupt service request"???
Anyone can verify whether they are removing the serial commands totally.. :?

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 7:23 

ryukitsu wrote:
I wonder what "Bogus ISR " means. "fake Interrupt service request"???

No ;)

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 9:18 

fzabkar wrote:
there was some speculation that Seagate would be making changes to serial terminal access, or eliminating it altogether
If true, then now you should understand some of the motivation not to spread as much information as possible to as many different corners of the internet as possible...

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 10:03 

I love when manufacturers do this...

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 12:02 

drc wrote:
fzabkar wrote:
there was some speculation that Seagate would be making changes to serial terminal access, or eliminating it altogether
If true, then now you should understand some of the motivation not to spread as much information as possible to as many different corners of the internet as possible...

Information wants to be free.

The only people who benefit from the withholding of information are those who use it for personal gain, or for control over others. The absence of service manuals, circuit diagrams, and technical information is the major reason why megatons of consumer equipment ends up in our landfills well before its time. The reality is that the vast majority of users will never even know how to use a multimeter, or recognise one, let alone be able to configure the hardware and software required for establishing a serial terminal connection to a hard drive.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 14:20 

Darwin , in fact, was not stupid. He understood how the world goes...

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 14:34 

fzabkar wrote:
drc wrote:
fzabkar wrote:

Information wants to be free.

The only people who benefit from the withholding of information are those who use it for personal gain, or for control over others. The absence of service manuals, circuit diagrams, and technical information is the major reason why megatons of consumer equipment ends up in our landfills well before its time. The reality is that the vast majority of users will never even know how to use a multimeter, or recognise one, let alone be able to configure the hardware and software required for establishing a serial terminal connection to a hard drive.

Non sequitur. If Seagate or some other manufacturer makes tinkering more difficult because too many people are tinkering with their drives (and widely publicizing it), then recovery becomes more difficult, which makes it more expensive. Obviously the recovery companies are going to pass on the costs to their customers, which means at the end of the day the only person who does not benefit is the customer, who now has to pay more money for their recovery because some internet cowboys thought it would make them look cool or smart to go blabbing all over the internet instead of keeping things quiet.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 15:49 

More explicit : in Italy we say "forse ne hanno le palle piene" (= maybe they have their balls fully inflated / filled = they can't bear it no more) . I am almost sure they have checked their revenue loss due to RMA for tinkered / fallen / smashed / zapped drives, refurbishing / restocking costs and management. At least something will change.

Luckily (for customers) I am not in the strategic marketing operations of any manufacturer, otherwise there would have been a lot of fun . Not yet at least :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 17:35 

BlackST wrote:
More explicit : in Italy we say "forse ne hanno le palle piene" (= maybe they have their balls fully inflated / filled = they can't bear it no more) .

Luckily (for customers) I am not in the strategic marketing operations of any manufacturer, otherwise there would have been a lot of fun . Not yet at least :twisted: :lol:

That's too bad. They could really benefit from someone with your special pubic relations skills.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 18:04 

At least their budgets would be safe and healthy. This is what matters . 8)