All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Program Needed to Seperate Good and Bad List of Files
PostPosted: September 14th, 2011, 20:07 

Hello all,

Sorry that I am new to this forum, I know a couple of you personally on here but do not know where this belongs. Let me get to the point, I am part of a professional data recovery company that has been in business since 1997, and we have alot of the capabilities of the big guys. The one thing that we are searching for is a program that can be branded in our company name that can make a list of the files, but can flag and seperate a list of good and bad files (ie corrupt due to sector damage or anything along those lines, corrupt and will not open or will not be in it's original condition). My company is willing to pay for such a program, and was wondering if anyone would be willing to either create or rebrand the software for us? Payment can be made via wire or can be made through a third party and can be placed in escrow, it will be up to you. If you are capable or know someone that is capable of such a thing please PM me, and mod's please move this conversation to where it belongs, because I do not know if it technically qualifies as Hard Disk Drive Technology.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Program Needed to Seperate Good and Bad List of Files
PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 4:05 

Data Extractor and R-Studio as example can provide a list with all erroneous files encountered during the recovery.

I think it will be impossible to run software on a set of recovered files and confirm its actual integrity. There are tools available that can use an internal database of signatures to verify the file signature against the file extension of specified files. But I know of no software that can verify the actual data.

You need to identify the list of damaged files during the data recovery and not against the recovered files. This feature is already available to you in many recovery applications.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 4:31 

That's right.
You can choose to have DE leave or delete a damaged file and then save the list it outputs with the files that have failed.

As far as i am concerned there is no actual way to check for the integrity of files, you have to open them yourself and check if they work.

Of course, there are many applications that check integrity of recovered files like ZAR or R-Studio or... but this only happens to well known file types only through a database of signatures and it is helpful but not guaranteed. They will not check integrity of .mdf or .pst files etc and files that pass the check these applications do, are not guaranteed to work in any case.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 4:34 

http://www.datarecoveryengineer.com/fil ... _software/

Provides you with a rebrandable file list viewer program you can send to your clients.

Edit: and yes, the tool is based on recognition of headers...

PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 5:38 

Hi,

I use Dole Listing and Testing aldo and I think it's what you're searching for.
Talento a look at it.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 13:45 

Thanks for all the responses,

I am only looking for software that can test the integrity of known files, and not database files like .mdf or .pst as we manually check those for corrupted headers ourselves, is there any software that can check for integrity and provide a list of good and bad files on known file extensions like excel word pdf etc?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 6:39 

Yes. Check the link Eleg posted. Or use ZAR or R-Studio or the ones dmarques posted. Your choice.