All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: 4 HDD in 2 arrays?
PostPosted: October 19th, 2011, 13:32 

Hello All

In this moment I have 3 HDDs in my computer.
1 x WD 150 GB Velociraptor - used for OS (Win7/64bits)
2 x WD 640 GB in RAID 0 - (used for data storage)
MB is IX38-QuadGT (X38-ICH9R)

I intend to buy another WD 150 GB Velociraptor and to start one more RAID 0.
Will be possible to have 2 arrays (both RAID 0) running on the same system?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Post subject: Re: 4 HDD in 2 arrays?
PostPosted: October 19th, 2011, 19:00 

Depends ! Does the Mobo support multiple raid sets ? Assume you are using the on-board raid controller a lot of them only support 1 raidset. You have to create the raid0 with the 2 150 GB drives which will clear the data off so you need to image the boot drive to another drive to image back to the new raid0 set once its created.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 6:05 

networks is correct.
Usually mobos do NOT support multiple RAIDs, maybe you could do it if you install another RAID PCI-E card. And in this case you'd need to erase all data off first raptor in order to create that new RAID.

May i ask why you want to create that second RAID set?

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 11:40 

Thank you Northwind,
That's no problem if erase the first raptor, anyhow I intend to reinstall the OS.
I created the RAID from the 2-nd and 3-rd HDD more than 1 yr ago, just to understand how RAID could be installed and how is running. Actually I don't need this RAID, but now is too late, I should backup/recover all the data and the volume (1.16 GB) is 98% full (I have no spare HDD to do this).
Probably you was thinking to delete this RAID and to build another one for the OS? Yes, this could be an option, I was thinking also at this but as I said, I don't have the possibility to backup all the data (pictures, movies, music, sw, etc).

PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 6:48 

Ah, so, if i understand correctly, you have created this RAID some time ago, then you dropped using this RAID without taking backup and now you want to re-create it just to take backup of the data it contains?

If this is the case then i'm afraid other techniques should be used, instead of mounting the disks onto a RAID controller. It won't work, unless the controller is the same and other conditions apply.

If i were you, i would image those drives onto another disk and then use those images to build the raid internally, and recover data.

If you have the same machine, you can try and mount disks there BUT FIRST MAKE AN IMAGE OF THEM, and recover the data. Should be simple.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2011, 6:01 

I don’t think 2 arrays can run on the same system. Usually they don’t support, but in rare case it can happen also. May be some additional installation or techniques can help you to succeed. An expert can only help you. Whatever changes you make, take care of the important data. It is better to keep a back of all the data if possible. Otherwise don’t forget to save the important ones. My recent experiments taught me this lesson.