All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Seagate 7200.12, should I keep it? If so, which firmware?
PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 15:44 

I have 2 brand new 1TB 7200.12 hard drive I bought some time ago and I am about to put them in service. Prior to doing so, I decided to do some research (spent about 2 hours on Google and many forums) since the drive have been around for a couple of years, and see what their reliability is like.

Anyway, I understand all drives have issues; the few things that really stand out on this one seems to be people have PCB issues, whether they be a 5v regulator burning out, and other issues similar to 7200.11 of suddenly not being recognized, how much of risk or concern is this? I will be running the drives in RAID 1 primarily for storage, not as boot drives.

Also, some people complain of loud noisy drives that supposedly are fixed with newer firmware. The drives were shipped with CC38 firmware, I have downloaded both CC46 and CC49 firmware, so I have two questions.

1. Should I put them in service or sell them for better drives, since it's not a bad time to sell?
2. If I keep them, which firmware should I run? CC38 or CC46 or CC49

I ask because CC49 is the latest, but I have read different bad reviews on that firmware in terms of slowing the drive down and having all kinds of issues, so I was thinking about CC46 instead.

So I wanted to see read some opinions and or suggestions from the HDDgurus

Post subject: Re: Seagate 7200.12, should I keep it? If so, which firmware
PostPosted: February 12th, 2012, 7:45 

hey friend even i have that 1TB 7200.12 seagate HD.Brought it 2 month back..now it got crash :( seagate-1tb-barracuda-7200-not-getting-detect-t22022.html
I think there problem with these 1TB harddisk's
And wat firmware u talking abt..is it necessary to run those firmware ! do it make the HD run better !