All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Reusing 3TB HDD from My Book Essetial
PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 17:04 

Hello HDD Experts,
A few years ago I bought a 3TB External (Western Digital My Book Essential 3 TB USB 3.0/2.0 Desktop External, Model WDBACW0030HBK-NESN). About a year ago, the enclosure started failing. I dis-assembled the enclosure, took out the drive, and plugged it in. Of course, I couldn't access anything because it turns out the WD does encryption at a hardware level. Having figured this out, I found the old USB board, plugged it back in, and salvaged what data I could. The USB board then proceeded to fail completely.
Now, I'd like to re-use this 3TB disk as a regular hard drive in my NAS. The disk itself is a WD Green 3 TB, according to its markings. I am not sure (would do SMART tests before putting it in the NAS) but I think the disk is physically in fine shape. Unfortunately, I am unable to format it in Disk Utility in Mac OS X. I get an error that it can't write to the last sector of the drive, and the format immediately fails. Also, the size shows up as 2.2 TB. I have a feeling the disk is still encrypted, and the size difference is the WD VCD partition. How do I turns this into a normal HDD so I can re-use it?

~ M.

Post subject: Re: Reusing 3TB HDD from My Book Essetial
PostPosted: July 24th, 2012, 21:04 

How are you erasing in DU? Did you go to the "Partition" tab, click "+", Select partition format (i.e., GUID), Type volume name, and then click "Apply"?

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2012, 10:58 

Many systems are limited in relation to 3TB disks. You should check that both your Mac and the NAS unit actually supports the high capacity.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2012, 8:45 

Hi all,

I am in a similar situation - except that I have 2x 2TB drives, and 1x 3TB drive WD mybook essentials.

For a while now I have been thinking about moving to a NAS solution once the 3TB drive is filled.

However - I'm hearing alot about this encryption, and do not want to be in a situation where I can't reuse 7TB worth of storage when the time comes.

Is it possible to re-format / blow away or otherwise scrub the drives to use in a NAS at some point in the future?
I'm guessing I will need to copy off everything from the mybook before removing it from the enclosure and attempting to format it?

Are there any instructions out there on how to re-use a WD Mybook Essentials drive once removed from the case?

Thanks in advance!