All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Performance confusion
PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 10:08 

I have a SATA 2 drive which bencjmarks at about 110mbs write, and 125mbs read. A partition on the same drive runs at about 60mbs read and write. A SATA 3 drive connected to the same SATA controller runs at about 90mbs read and write.

I tried installing a SATA 3 controller in my system in the PCIe x1 slot but it doesn't appear to be running SATA 3 mode. Same 90mbs R/W performance as the SATA 2 controller.

The performance seems to be all over the place, and the SATA card I purchased doesn't work in two systems. I initially bought the SATA 3 card to upgrade a Dell XPS 420 with an Intel 520 120gb SSD. I yanked the card because there was a negative effect from the on-board sata 2. Yes, this system is supposed to be Rev 2 on the PCI, but the card isn't recognizing it. The other system is an HP 3130MT, and it didn't work in that one either. The card is an SY-PEX40039, sybusa or asmedia or iocrest. Can't reallu figure out who made it honestly.

Anyway, just trying to understand why the dependencies in performance.

Post subject: Re: Performance confusion
PostPosted: September 27th, 2012, 19:13 

I can see that you're trying to explain your questions, however (a) for performance issues much more detail of exact tests would be needed (as well as a clear explanation of which figures were your test results, and which were figures from other people's tests) if this subject was actually on-topic here, but (b) this subject isn't on-topic. Questions about compatibility between different SATA HBAs and different PCs are also not on-topic (that's not a disk repair or data recovery issue).

The best picture I can get from your story, is that you were expecting a SATA3 drive to be faster than a SATA2 drive, and are surprised when that isn't true. In short, using a SATA3 drive & controller will only produce an increase in throughput if the previous SATA2 component (replaced with one supporting SATA3) was actually the bottleneck. As far as I can see in your description, that wasn't the case, hence you saw no improvement. Therefore your bottleneck(s) is/are elsewhere. The challenge when trying any type of performance improvement, is to find the bottleneck. It isn't necessarily the interface.

I expect you'll get more help with this type of issue (and with your SATA HBA compatibility problems) in a PC-oriented forum :) Good luck!