All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Where is the AscII hiding?
PostPosted: December 26th, 2012, 18:00 

I am vary old :-) and am trying to understand this technology. I am vary much a geek thou.
I have always been fascinated by the interface between two processors. So I built a serial cable and started looking around inside my seagate drive. (I used to do the same kind of thing on the vic20) The seagate 7200-12 only allows dumping of memory 1 block at a time. No big deal, I wrote a program that interfaces with realterm to keep downloading and saveing these blocks to a text file. I let it run all-night and accumulated quite a bit of data. Then this morning I used a hex editor to view the output. I was shocked to (not) see there were no ascii characters! Why not? What am I missing? I just figured it would display some of the hex as ascii data. I will gladly share the program I wrote for even a little information. :-)

Thank You!
Ron Derkis

Post subject: Re: Where is the AscII hiding?
PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 13:26 

rderkis wrote:
I am vary old :-) and am trying to understand this technology. I am vary much a geek thou.
I have always been fascinated by the interface between two processors. So I built a serial cable and started looking around inside my seagate drive. (I used to do the same kind of thing on the vic20) The seagate 7200-12 only allows dumping of memory 1 block at a time. No big deal, I wrote a program that interfaces with realterm to keep downloading and saveing these blocks to a text file. I let it run all-night and accumulated quite a bit of data. Then this morning I used a hex editor to view the output. I was shocked to (not) see there were no ascii characters! Why not? What am I missing? I just figured it would display some of the hex as ascii data. I will gladly share the program I wrote for even a little information. :-)

Thank You!
Ron Derkis

show us a screen shot?