All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: SATA interface test modes (low level) ?
PostPosted: March 4th, 2013, 17:05 

Hello-

I am *just* starting to look at SATA technology, specifically at the low level. I know that there are BIST (built in self test) modes, but I am having trouble finding concise information about them. This is NOT for data recovery, more basic interface testing, but I can see that people on this forum know a whole lot more than I do. (My apologies if this is not the right forum.) I am particularly curious if any of the following modes exist:

1) "loopback" mode where the host (mainboard, etc) can transmit data to the device (HDD), and the device just turns right around and spits it back; or

2) "ignore" mode (aka tri-state, high-impedance, etc) where the host (mainboard, etc) can run a number of tests that may violate the interface specification and the far end device just ignores it for a time, so that the host can do some checking on electrical performance (rise/fall-times, over/under-shoot, etc). So that testing of the electrical interface can be verified in-system without disconnecting the HDD device.

3) anything else along those lines ?

thx

Post subject: Re: SATA interface test modes (low level) ?
PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 19:17 

re: 1) In my (non-PC) experience, it is necessary to implement HBA-specific programming of PCI registers, to enter & leave BIST loopback modes. Some drives may implement SCT BIST commands, but correct functioning involves the HBA too.

re: 3) You can read the drive's SATA PHY counters (where that is supported by a drive), to get the drive's view of the state of the PHY layer during runtime, even without invoking any BIST functionality. This is standard background health checking on high-end arrays (along with many other such checks) ;)

PostPosted: March 7th, 2013, 14:56 

I would love one of these http://www.flowcad.de/datasheets/LeCroy ... asheet.pdf

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: March 7th, 2013, 18:23 

How about this one ?

http://www.c-h-s.com/SATA-6G.Datasheet.pdf

+++