All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: HP Proliant Gen8 SmartDrives?
PostPosted: May 17th, 2013, 20:56 

Anybody looked into these drives? I wonder if we can put the custom hp firmware onto the same non hp drives. We've just ordered a couple of dl380 gen8 so hopefully i'lll get to play with making non hp drives compatible with the smartdrive carriers.

Post subject: Re: HP Proliant Gen8 SmartDrives?
PostPosted: May 19th, 2013, 3:40 

pinoy wrote:
Anybody looked into these drives? I wonder if we can put the custom hp firmware onto the same non hp drives. We've just ordered a couple of dl380 gen8 so hopefully i'lll get to play with making non hp drives compatible with the smartdrive carriers.

If you need just change HP drives on to none HP drives , it is possible, and never seen any problems with this on HP Proliants.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2013, 4:51 

Hi.

People are actually using none HP drives on the GEN8s without any issues apart from being flagged by the system as being NONE GENUINE and also not being compatible with SmartDrive LED reporting on the caddy. Not many cases though as I am struggling to find discussions of personal experiences with such configurations.

What I really want to do is to see if we are able to load the customized hp firmware modules to make the proliant see it as a genuine drive. I am also wondering if there are any physical difference between none hp drives and similar non hp drives.

I also am interested to find out if the Proliant SmartArray software properly configures and reports the status of the none hp drives. I read an article a while back about a person saying that the RAID is always flagged as not optimized when using none hp drives.

cant really tell anything until I get my hands on these servers... unless off course somebody in hddguru has got personal experience about what I am wanting to find out.

thanx.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2013, 10:46 

HP firmware or any OEM for that matter is not easily downloadable to Seagate Enterprise, there is a reason for it. I don't like fake kit either.