Switch to full style
In-depth technology research: finding new ways to recover data, accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust.

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...
Post a reply

PCB Read Channel

March 22nd, 2014, 15:02

I am trying to find the read channel for the attached PCB. I presume the read and write channels are the ones I have marked. But both give a readout of 0V either when connected to the HDA or not. I have just tried a matching board with the same results, so I presume I have the wrong ones.
Attachments
Read_Channel.JPG

Re: PCB Read Channel

March 22nd, 2014, 15:15

ISTM that you have correctly identified the R/W differential pairs. Are you measuring 0V between each signal and ground, or 0V between each of the pairs?

March 22nd, 2014, 15:21

fzabkar wrote:ISTM that you have correctly identified the R/W differential pairs. Are you measuring 0V between each signal and ground, or 0V between each of the pairs?

Each the pairs......... How do I test against ground?

March 22nd, 2014, 15:28

ddrecovery wrote:
fzabkar wrote:ISTM that you have correctly identified the R/W differential pairs. Are you measuring 0V between each signal and ground, or 0V between each of the pairs?

Just to clarify, I am testing the channels with a multi-meter. ie one probe on one side of the read channel pair, one probe on the other side of the read channel pair.

March 22nd, 2014, 15:33

ddrecovery wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:

Just to clarify, I am testing the channels with a multi-meter. ie one probe on one side of the read channel pair, one probe on the other side of the read channel pair.

The DC voltage between each side of the pair will always be zero. You need to measure the voltage between each side of the pair and ground.

March 22nd, 2014, 15:39

fzabkar wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:

The DC voltage between each side of the pair will always be zero. You need to measure the voltage between each side of the pair and ground.

Sorry to be dumb, but how do I do that. Put one probe on one side of the pair and touch the computer chassis?

March 22nd, 2014, 15:43

ddrecovery wrote:Sorry to be dumb, but how do I do that. Put one probe on one side of the pair and touch the computer chassis?

That's one way, but you could use SATA power ground or a screw hole as your ground reference.

March 22nd, 2014, 15:45

fzabkar wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:Sorry to be dumb, but how do I do that. Put one probe on one side of the pair and touch the computer chassis?

That's one way, but you could use SATA power ground or a screw hole as your ground reference.

Worked a treat, thanks Fzabkar. Learning a lot :)
Post a reply