All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sniffing control flow between legacy devices over PATA/A
PostPosted: September 15th, 2023, 12:33 

I tried a PATA to SATA converter, with a SATA CF card reader, but did not work either, despite both devices supposedly supporting ATAPI.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2023, 5:02 

Don’t know if any previous posters are still interested but thought I’d mention this, I bought a MPC2000xl with the MCD drive installed, I thought that I’d put the MCD drive in the SP-808 and use one of the generic ones that did not work in the SP-808 in the MPC, as I had a few around that did not work in the SP-808. Anyway I put a Startech CF-IDE in the MPC, but it wasn’t recognised, after a bit of research I discovered that the 1.14 firmware in the MPC was not compatible with the generic type IDE drives, but v1.20 was, so I installed that on the MPC and now the Startech works in the MPC. The MCD drive works well in the SP-808 as expected.

So it might be worth somebody with the appropriate skill comparing the MPC2000xl 1.14 firmware with the 1.20 firmware, to see what Akai changed.

Also if you are prepared to buy a MPC2000xl with the card reader and a Startech drive to replace it, you can probably resell the MPC for what you paid after changing the card reader, the Startech is about £25-£30 on Amazon, so essentially you end up with the MCD drive for a much lower cost if you don’t mind a little work and buying then selling the MPC. You can find the 2000xl for quite reasonable prices if you are patient.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2023, 9:06 

norlesh wrote:
... as for the MPC drive mentioned in the comments $275 for a maybe is a bit rich for my taste

maybe should have bought one back then... now $416 !

PostPosted: October 18th, 2023, 9:46 

ryansupak wrote:
Here's the guy that I ran across with an existing, but similar, solution for another application. Looks like he is pretty close. I gave him a few corner-cases to test and he did discover a few glitches, but all in all making he is excellent progress in a short time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYdAEDZJxCM

I missed the link to his hardware on the video in the description(out of stock!):
https://issues.tattiebogle.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mantis:ide_simulator:start
and SP specific, with possibly some unkon info in this thread (it has been a while, I cant remember!)
https://issues.tattiebogle.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mantis:ide_simulator:uhd

PostPosted: October 25th, 2023, 9:44 

Hsiboy wrote:
Small correction to the above, it's
Code:
7A 00 00 00
And here's the odd thing. If I diff the Sp808 firmware and the A6 firmware, these patterns occur in the same place in both files. In fact, there are so many null bytes
Code:
that occurs in exactly the same place in the two files, it has to be an artifact from the midi update.
Question is, has it been extracted incorrectly, or, is it a further later of transport packing, because the firmware was being streamed in over a uart.

Also, there are strings that appear on the screen of both devices, that are not present in the firmware.
So, either the firmware does not update everything, or there is further compression.

The entropy of the two files is below 1, so I don't think it is compressed, but either way, the firmware that was extracted earlier in this thread, is currently a dead end, because it can't currently be compiled.

the proliferation of 0x00 is because many instructions are designed to have upper bits of addresses as 0x00
Quote:
Program-Counter Relative—@(d:8, PC) or @(d:16, PC): This mode is used in the Bcc and
BSR instructions. An 8-bit or 16-bit displacement contained in the instruction is sign-extended and
added to the 24-bit PC contents to generate a branch address. Only the lower 24 bits of this branch
address are valid; the upper 8 bits are all assumed to be 0 (H'00). The PC value to which the
displacement is added is the address of the first byte of the next instruction, so the possible
branching range is –126 to +128 bytes (–63 to +64 words) or –32766 to +32768 bytes (–16383 to
+16384 words) from the branch instruction. The resulting value should be an even number.

(8) Memory Indirect—@@aa:8: This mode can be used by the JMP and JSR instructions. The
instruction code contains an 8-bit absolute address specifying a memory operand. This memory
operand contains a branch address. The upper bits of the absolute address are all assumed to be 0,
so the address range is 0 to 255 (H'0000 to H'00FF in normal mode, H'000000 to H'0000FF in
advanced mode). In normal mode the memory operand is a word operand and the branch address
is 16 bits long. In advanced mode the memory operand is a longword operand, the first byte of
which is assumed to be all 0 (H'00).

Initially promising, I found my disassembling lacking. The MAME emu has *some* support for H8's and there exists a disassembler in the tools. I couldn't get reasonable results.
Code:
PS C:\SP-808\disassemble>unidasm.exe
Usage: C:\SP-808\disassemble\unidasm.exe <filename> -arch <architecture> [-basepc <pc>]
   [-norawbytes] [-xchbytes] [-flipped] [-upper] [-lower]
   [-skip <n>] [-count <n>] [-octal]

Supported architectures:
  8x300          h8             m68020         sc61860        upd177x
  adsp21xx       h8h            m6803          scmp           upd7725
  alpha          h8s2000        m68030         score7         upd7801
  alpha_nt       h8s2600...

I am looking at how likely it is I could write a processor module for Ghidra. The instruction set is only 69 odd instructions, but the variety of modes possible, and the many nuances look tricky. The H8 processor module doesn't look that scary, but you would need to get it pretty right, so you don't spit out garbage.

I see MAME has a few processors and looks like they build on previous versions. example H8S2600.h would have a H8S2000.h include which includes a H8300 include... and the last is simply a H8 include. but MAME processor definitions look HARD!

been looking around at some other stuff H8 hacking related to see if there are any that might help. more to come tomorrow

PostPosted: October 26th, 2023, 1:13 

here is a lesson on hacking a MCU. fascinating. I don't think in my lifetime I will get to this level, sadly.
http://dmitry.gr/?r=05.Projects&proj=28.%20pokewalker

Seems the HD6432653 is one of those in-between models that the vendor will say.. what 2653? I dunno what you are talking about..shhh!!!

There are a few differences between closer models (would have been nice if it was one of those!) that is going to make it difficult to proceed.

Attachment:
H8S-2655-features1.JPG
H8S-2655-features1.JPG [ 415.68 KiB | Viewed 227964 times ]

PostPosted: October 26th, 2023, 22:07 

adapter working? Translatable to English: https://www.phantom.sannata.org/viewtopic.php?t=40212&start=165

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm fine, the development of the device has not been abandoned, but has been paused.
I don’t want to open source it yet, maybe later.
I didn’t unsubscribe to the topic because I didn’t see the notifications... Such a monstrous coincidence. ;)

The latest available firmware has added:
* advanced multi-level CLI
* ATA bus debugging mode: the device is connected third to a standard cable, captures messages on the bus, caches them in the controller memory and displays them in the CLI.
* ZIP support improvements: soft-eject support, compatibility with music equipment, successfully tested on Boss BR8, Roland SP808, Roland SP808ex, Roland VS840vx.
* error correction.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2023, 4:18 

anyone have a dump of the Sharp Flash LH28F800SUT? Looks like it is where the .mid files write firmware to. maybe we are not supposed to cat them all together? possibly they need to align to specific memory map. Also, maybe this file is not a single program to execute, and therefore decomplie, but a collection of small programs/code to jump to and data.
this site appears to have worked out any sp808-ex will work fine with a HDD once updated with A^ .mid files, and so might not be too much in reversing the Hitachi 2653, but more effort on these .mid updates and the flash.
https://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4353

I asked a chip revere engineer/decap company if they could get the mask and PROM from the hitachi, and they said they are working on it but not able to yet. GO HITACHI!!! ;-)

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2023, 10:40 

Anyone know anything about these expansion boards for the SP?

https://reverb.com/au/item/56525330-rare-roland-sp808-op2-scsi-digital-i-o-expansion-board-for-sp-808-sp-808ex-worldwide-shipping
Quote:
Very Rare Roland SP808-OP2 expansion card for SP-808, SP-808EX.
Adds SCSI, Digital In/Out, and balanced stereo input / output with XLR Mic input.

Quote:
Two XLR Inputs with Line/Mic switch - Two XLR Outputs - Digital SP/DIF In/Out - SCSI port for adding an extra Zip drive.

I wonder if this port is useful in any way?

Attachment:
expansion.jpg
expansion.jpg [ 380.52 KiB | Viewed 227483 times ]

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2023, 21:32 

I have the OP1 board fitted in my SP808, sadly the SCSI also only works with Zip drives, I have a SCSI CF drive and tried it with various CF cards but no bueno.

Interesting to note about using the Akai MPC2000XL MCD drive in place of the Zip drive, you can still get disk busy messages if trying to cut and paste small sections of audio, albeit less so than with the Zip drive. AFAIK the Roland A6 which was fitted with a IDE HD did not suffer from disk busy errors, the A6 also has some other useful features like split phrase and adding fades which would be useful on the 808, but A6 lacks quite a lot of key features that the 808 has, if a hacked firmware could be possible someday, it would be great if some of the A6 features could be added to the 808 as well as of course the drive handling stuff.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2023, 1:45 

Thanks for the info @Buzunki. Always good to hear about experiences with units from owners.

I've been looking at some EX's and will likely buy one next week to have on hand for testing and dumping the flash chip. I expect it to contain the firmware we already have, but I want to see the actual organisation of it on the chip.

The firmware is not decompilable in it's current form, or the tools don't exist to do it successfully.

Writing any code for it is currently off the table as well because we don't know what mode the H8S2653 uses, or what is in PROM/Mask ROM (if anything). I am thinking some form of bootloader / bare minimum OS.

Question:
does anyone know of any other Roland equipment from around the same time that also uses a H8 or H8S MCU? Might be able to research those and see if any commonalities exist.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2023, 21:40 

The A6 and possibly some VS models from that era use the same MCU.

@HaQue so editing/spicing the A6 and SP-808 firmware midi files isn’t a viable option? That is a shame if not, is it because the code is not readable into meaningful human readable form to determine the sections of interest?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2023, 7:10 

Buzunki wrote:
The A6 and possibly some VS models from that era use the same MCU.

@HaQue so editing/spicing the A6 and SP-808 firmware midi files isn’t a viable option? That is a shame if not, is it because the code is not readable into meaningful human readable form to determine the sections of interest?

The fact is, we don't know enough about the firmware to splice it. And we are using the word 'splice' very liberally here. I/O to disk is not so simple that you can replace 'write_to_Zip()' with 'write_to_disk()'
- We don't know what mode the CPU is in yet. This would be a critical factor in reversing the firmware.
- We don't know the memory map.
- We know there is a 64 mask rom, but don't know if it is actually used. If it is, 2 chip decapping companies so far has said they cant hack it.
- We know there is flash, but don't know the mapping.
- We assume the firmware we have is written to the flash, but we don't know for sure, or know what is at what addresses.
- There are maybe a 4 to 6 other H8 or H8S hacks with very little info. there is not a lot to go on, unlike many other hacks of products.
- There isn't much expertise in this area looking at this project. This is going to be slow going.

I have bought an A-6 (SP's are a bit pricier and if it looks promising enough I will get one.) I want to read the Sharp flash chip for a start to document that part of it. I also want to poke at the MCU with my Saleae and see if there is any way to get some info from it.
I have a few ideas brewing but need to get a phy unit first to play with

PostPosted: November 12th, 2023, 7:25 

So this part of the manual appears to confirm there are 2 'firmwares'

Quote:
Verifying version
While in the test mode, the top of the screen displays the CPU
software version and the system software version in the
format shown below:
1.00 1.000
Left: CPU version; right: system version

It is kinda obvious, but still good to confirm things

PostPosted: November 21st, 2023, 9:12 

Received my A-6 today. labels all in Japanese!

Attachment:
A-6-Front-jp-sm.jpg
A-6-Front-jp-sm.jpg [ 123.1 KiB | Viewed 210337 times ]

Luckily this was an overlay easily removed.

Attachment:
A-6-Front-en-sm.jpg
A-6-Front-en-sm.jpg [ 118.36 KiB | Viewed 210337 times ]

It already had SP-808EX on it.

Attachment:
boot-all.png
boot-all.png [ 200.95 KiB | Viewed 210337 times ]

Nothing lasts long without me getting a screwdriver to it! Here is the MB:

Attachment:
MB-Med.jpg
MB-Med.jpg [ 406.6 KiB | Viewed 210337 times ]

I thought the pads at CN7 looked like they had been probed, but no this was just some flux. but the 2x25 row of pads when looking under microscope definitely show there has been probes pushed into the pads, each pad had about 3 probe marks. the circled ones I only had time to check, but they go straight the the H8S processor.

Attachment:
test-pins.jpg
test-pins.jpg [ 127.54 KiB | Viewed 210337 times ]

The processor and flash chip are my targets. I am going to hit the SCI Serial Communication Interface on CPU, test pads and other Ports of chip with the Saleae logic analyser, read the flash chip once my new T56 Programmer arrives and see if any signals are evident. Also looking at the test programs mentioned in the manual and finding some way to run code from ram to try and read out the mask rom on CPU. if there is a vulnerability in the system somewhere, it may be possible.

There is Beam board and MIDI peripherals that communicate with the processor, so maybe there is a way to use these I/O ports to gain more access.

Attachment:
H8S-Flash.jpg
H8S-Flash.jpg [ 71.81 KiB | Viewed 210337 times ]

PostPosted: November 27th, 2023, 9:15 

Wondering if it is possible to use the technique in this post to somehow access other parts of the system. Namely put CPU in a different mode that ignores onboard OTPROM and boot from flash with some code.

https://hackaday.io/project/188508-repu ... 039-h8300h

Also wondering about how the buttons tell the OS what to do. Looking to see if a button press is sent via an ascii code or some protocol, what happens if we send something unexpected?

I edited together some images of the test mode. The RAM looks interesting. Not sure what PRAM0, PRAM1, IRAM0, IRAM1, GRAM and ERAM are. I have seen reference to IRAM being CPU Instruction RAM, but not so sure that is what it is here.

Attachment:
TestMode.jpg
TestMode.jpg [ 148.48 KiB | Viewed 209920 times ]

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2023, 8:39 

Appears the update file previously put together decompiles. Have got a nice disassembly of over 1200 subroutines. Subroutines appear to mostly look well disassembled. The pic shows the start of a function with parameters passed at the start.

Attachment:
funct.png
funct.png [ 64.88 KiB | Viewed 209138 times ]

Some disk routines found:

Attachment:
saving.png
saving.png [ 84.52 KiB | Viewed 209138 times ]

Attachment:
funct_IOMEGA.png
funct_IOMEGA.png [ 74.5 KiB | Viewed 209138 times ]

This looks to be a menu or at least a case statement, if or similar. likely responding to a user input:

Attachment:
case.png
case.png [ 62.4 KiB | Viewed 209138 times ]

Test Mode looks to be part of Flash:

Attachment:
str3.png
str3.png [ 60.29 KiB | Viewed 209138 times ]

Getting some nice idea of program flow:

Attachment:
flow.png
flow.png [ 10.82 KiB | Viewed 209138 times ]

TODO:
-continue to map strings properly to help identify subroutines.
- find out what maps to 0x400000 of the address space to eliminate the dreaded red references
- learn more H8S 2600 ASM !
- go through and find anywhere there is a part of a routine that waits for user input, and see what it is using to compare to. eg a button press of "OK" to what hex code... where does it get the code? can we inject codes ourselves...
-understand the disk routines.
-compare to A-6 System code
-sleep

PostPosted: December 7th, 2023, 1:57 

I received the programmer to read the LH28F800SUT flash chip.

Interesting. The start of the flash dump is essentially the same The SP808.bin that we have from previous work extracted from the .MID updates.

Attachment:
cmp-diff1-00072290.PNG
cmp-diff1-00072290.PNG [ 52.09 KiB | Viewed 208438 times ]

The dump is bigger, and continues with assumed empty space until 0x000F000

Attachment:
cmp-diff2-000F0000.PNG
cmp-diff2-000F0000.PNG [ 42.08 KiB | Viewed 208438 times ]

Then there is some more data:

Attachment:
extra_at_000F0000Capture.PNG
extra_at_000F0000Capture.PNG [ 10.92 KiB | Viewed 208438 times ]

if you make the view 256 bytes, there is a visible pattern.

Attachment:
extra-1.PNG
extra-1.PNG [ 151.23 KiB | Viewed 208438 times ]

I think I have all functions defined in the code now.

Attachment:
funcs.PNG
funcs.PNG [ 69.43 KiB | Viewed 208438 times ]

the flow looks to be easy enough to follow, so starting to drill down into the disk ones and analyse them.
Luckily we can isolate functions so as to not need to follow this
Attachment:
call-flow.PNG
call-flow.PNG [ 107.12 KiB | Viewed 208438 times ]

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2024, 10:53 

@HaQue you're back!

I too bought the flash reader, and found what you found.

but i can not decompile the firmware cleanly. Which address did you use as entry point? Did you remove the Roland header and footer first?

I have the reader from our Russian friend, i worked with him to make it compatible with the SP808 ;-)

HSIBOY

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2024, 12:54 

HaQue wrote:
adapter working? Translatable to English: https://www.phantom.sannata.org/viewtopic.php?t=40212&start=165

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm fine, the development of the device has not been abandoned, but has been paused.
I don’t want to open source it yet, maybe later.
I didn’t unsubscribe to the topic because I didn’t see the notifications... Such a monstrous coincidence. ;)

The latest available firmware has added:
* advanced multi-level CLI
* ATA bus debugging mode: the device is connected third to a standard cable, captures messages on the bus, caches them in the controller memory and displays them in the CLI.
* ZIP support improvements: soft-eject support, compatibility with music equipment, successfully tested on Boss BR8, Roland SP808, Roland SP808ex, Roland VS840vx.
* error correction.

Yes this works very well, i worked with user Sintechi to get the emulator working perfectly with the SP808. Due to the sanctions placed on Russia and because of the political unease, he is taking a break from the project, but he has re-spun a new version of the board.

The emulator has a bus sniff function, which allows all data on the IDE bus to be captured. This allowed us to see the interaction between the SP808 and the ZIP drive. I have put logs here: https://github.com/hsiboy/Roland_SP-808_Reverse_Engineering/blob/default/Roland_SP-808_to_ZIP_Drive_sniff.md

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next