Switch to full style
In-depth technology research: finding new ways to recover data, accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust.

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...
Post a reply

Re: Sniffing control flow between legacy devices over PATA/A

July 28th, 2020, 13:04

Was anything else ever done with this? Were you able to test the Salvationdata drive?

July 29th, 2020, 10:22

chrisfoster wrote:3 months later and nothing to report unfortunately.

3 years later and still nothing to report unfortunately

too many things on the go all the time, and let this project go stale. I still have the SD adapter. If Chris is still interested, I am willing to make the mod to the board and work something out to test it.

July 29th, 2020, 13:35

I understand. I have let many a project go stale. I only ask, as you guys have done the best testing and investigating that can be found online. I'm considering modifying my unit, but man, I hate to spend $80 on a unit, and the find out it doesn't work.

August 7th, 2020, 16:08

Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, I came up on the thread when googling ide HDD replacement and quite like the idea of using a usb flash drive to replace the HDD on some older stuff. know most would say go for a cf adapter but those that USB to IDE converter from Salvationdata work as a normal ide device? Does it have an option for master or slave configuration on the board?

August 8th, 2020, 14:22

Hdd09 wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, I came up on the thread when googling ide HDD replacement and quite like the idea of using a usb flash drive to replace the HDD on some older stuff. know most would say go for a cf adapter but those that USB to IDE converter from Salvationdata work as a normal ide device? Does it have an option for master or slave configuration on the board?

The problem is that the IDE host is expecting to find an ATAPI device, not ATA. SalvationData's adapter is designed to be configured for either mode via a programming resistor.

August 8th, 2020, 14:48

In my case my device as i know is looking for ata. Is SalvationData way to change from master to slave thru the 2 pin jumper it has on one side? Once again sorry if these seem like rather basic question to people more knowledgable in this.

August 9th, 2020, 0:10

You can connect up to two USB devices to SalvationData's adapter. This is explained in the technical manual for the S1R72U16 chip.

You will need a USB hub. The first detected USB device will be the master, the second will be the slave. Any additional USB devices will be ignored.

The chip has a pin which needs to be programmed for "two-device mode". I don't know whether the adapter has a jumper for this. If not, then you will need to hack it.

August 9th, 2020, 11:36

oh i see so the only way to get a slave is if it has 2nd usn which is the master, it cant just put a single usb into slave mode.

August 9th, 2020, 21:03

@Hdd09.. whats the device?

August 9th, 2020, 22:48

It an older console that when the GD-ROM goes bad on it people do an ide hdd to replace it but the software asfar as i know only recognizes ide devices that are in slave mode. To me a usb would be much better then hdd just because of how easy it would be to remove it and add more game to it.

August 10th, 2020, 20:33

if you google for :

dreamcast flash drive

looks like this has been done already in a variety of ways

August 10th, 2020, 20:53

ISTM that you can configure the adapter as a slave in single device mode. There are no jumpers for this. You just need an IDE cable that uses the Cable Select pin to determine whether the adapter will be master or slave.

2.1.2 Device Count Setting

This specifies the number of storage devices connected to the main CPU via this LSI. Set to two-device mode when controlling two devices (master snd slave) using the LSI. Set to one-device mode when controlling a single device; in this case, the CSEL signal shall be used as defined in the IDE standard.

The CSEL pin on this LSI should be set to “Master (=Low)” in two-device mode.

August 10th, 2020, 21:08

HaQue wrote:if you google for :

dreamcast flash drive

looks like this has been done already in a variety of ways

I fail to find a single dreamcast using an actual flash drive the close thing to a flash drive if you google what you is the DC SD Adapter which look like a flash drive that get plugged into the back of it but it is isnt a good method to use compare to an actual ide mood.
fzabkar wrote:ISTM that you can configure the adapter as a slave in single device mode. There are no jumpers for this. You just need an IDE cable that uses the Cable Select pin to determine whether the adapter will be master or slave.

2.1.2 Device Count Setting

This specifies the number of storage devices connected to the main CPU via this LSI. Set to two-device mode when controlling two devices (master snd slave) using the LSI. Set to one-device mode when controlling a single device; in this case, the CSEL signal shall be used as defined in the IDE standard.

The CSEL pin on this LSI should be set to “Master (=Low)” in two-device mode.

Thank you for that info

August 10th, 2020, 22:47

I would think that it would be unsafe to treat any USB device attached to this IDE adapter as hot-swappable, if that is what you are expecting.

August 10th, 2020, 23:40

Nope not expecting Hot swappable capabilities at all. I dont even think that is possible with ide as far as i know. Plus that wouldnt make much sense as the games would be running from it the minute that usb come out bye bye game progression. I just want something smaller then the typical hdd used for this mod and easier to daily use then a cf which is another option. After some searching i found a pdf called S1R72U16 Evaluation Board Manual
pretty much had the rest of the info i needed. thx again for the help.

August 25th, 2020, 5:03

Hi. We doing some research about Roland and ZIP here https://www.phantom.sannata.org/viewtop ... 18&t=33077
Forum nn russian, but may be someone have someting to add or just interesting
Now main idea - reverse firmware for FC1307A for add ATAPI support

August 25th, 2020, 15:19

1) Talked to a very nice gentleman on the phone, who works at CPR Tools. He said that their Converter Card is absolutely custom-made for their specific, proprietary devices, and that it absolutely will NOT work in a generic fashion without being hooked up to their devices. He suggested checking StarTech (and I know we've generally ruled that kind of solution out) but I may just check again with them.

2) I ordered the SalvationData converter card from DriveStar. It's on the way from Hong Kong via DHL. A very friendly gentleman at DriveStar told me, via email, that they can get as many of those cards as I want -- so evidently they ARE still in production. I'll do the "ATAPI Resistor/Jumper Change" and give that a shot. (It doesn't look like this solution would support Hot-Swap, although I think the Epson chip it uses does implement that -- I think that's what the "Reset" command does?)

3) Hot-Swap is a moot point for me personally, since my plan is to put a WiFi-enabled 128GB USB Drive inside it. This is a good solution for me since that's 1,280 ZIP100 disks worth, plus I want to be able to run a script that will keep the data synchronized between my 808s anyway -- see attached photo:

I promise to update with what I find out, even if it's "it didn't work at all".
rs

ps - Fun Fact, I was the first known person (in the wild) to put the EX OS on the original SP-808 back in the late 1990s.
Attachments
808-trio.jpeg

August 25th, 2020, 20:51

At US$80, isn't it more expensive than buying from SD directly?

https://www.drivestar.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4915&zenid=bbns40f7rqt4rlc44brk2oo786

August 25th, 2020, 21:04

fzabkar, Yes, I tried ordering it from SD directly first. But they said they didn't stock it at all:

Dear Ryan,

Thanks for your contacting SalvationDATA. We are so sorry that "converter USB to IDE Male" is unavailable from us.

SalvationDATA is a company focused on digital forensics...

August 29th, 2020, 22:33

Funny enough I called the CPR tools people a few weeks ago too. The guy was very nice. He knew was a sp-808 was because he was a key board player. Gave me the same answer about it being proprietary. Probably thought it was strange getting two calls so close together about using the USB atapi device for a sp-808.
Post a reply