All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: help about SATA inside hard drive
PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 5:15 

Recently i was reading the specification of SATA technology. There is one problem puzzling me. I hope you guys can give me some help. :)

Here is the Non-Data command sequence(referred from the SATA Storage Technology):

1. The write to the command register causes the HBA to send the contents of the shadow registers to the drive via a Register FIS.
2. The drive updates its ATA registers withe the Register FIS contents.
3. The drive parses the command and performs the requested operation.
4. The drive updates the ATA registers to report completion status and delivers their content to the HBA via a Register FIS.
5. The HBA updates the shadow register contents and generates an interrupt to notify system software of command completion.
6. System software reads successful command completion status from the shadow registers.

And i was unclear about the second. When the HBA sends the contents of the shadow registers to the drive via a Register FIS, how dose the drive know that there is a Register FIS coming? By interrupt, or just anything else?

Attachments:
no_data_sequence_SATA_figure.png
no_data_sequence_SATA_figure.png [ 224.74 KiB | Viewed 6552 times ]