All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 17:10 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 9606
Location: Australia
I'm wondering if the following methodology would enable a missing ROM to be reconstructed, assuming there existed a suitable burn-in/selfscan procedure for the target model.

    Transplant patient heads to donor drive
    Run burn-in/selfscan against donor drive
    Return patient heads to patient drive
    Transfer new burn-in adaptives or entire PCB from donor to patient
    Edit serial number, etc.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: November 18th, 2016, 18:42 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: May 5th, 2004, 20:06
Posts: 2764
Location: England
Can't see it working at all using SS, however I would love to read about someone trying! There are potential methods, much the same as Brute-Forcing passwords.

Fujitsu MPG adaptive values could be brute-forced :D that's for sure.


Or, just talk nicely to the manufacturer and they could supply original "adaptives"...IF they really wanted.

_________________
All went well until I plugged the drive in.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: November 19th, 2016, 6:10 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 7862
Location: Portugal
This would only matter mainly on Seagate F3 and Toshiba as there are other methods for other brands that wouldn't require to remove the heads like trying several ROM files on WD and getting the copy from the platters.

On Seagate F3 and Toshiba you wouldn't be able to SS at all you would gain nothing, unless you have some sort of factory code to run the SS or to regen the adaptives on those drives to start with.

So you would be back to square one...

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: December 14th, 2016, 19:30 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 2561
Location: Hungary
@guru: Even SRS was unable to recover F3 with lost rom, do you think they couldn't ask nice enough?
However, head adaptives are not hard to recover, media adaptives are the though part...

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: December 15th, 2016, 15:24 
Offline

Joined: May 16th, 2009, 9:32
Posts: 329
Location: UNited Kingdom
Do I take it from the post above that there are head adaptives (probably in relation to optimal write current and read biasing etc?) as well as media adaptives


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: December 16th, 2016, 7:22 
Offline

Joined: October 3rd, 2005, 0:40
Posts: 2561
Location: Hungary
yes.

pepe

_________________
Adatmentés - Data recovery
No bitcoin donations :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2017, 13:27 
Offline

Joined: October 24th, 2014, 4:57
Posts: 195
Location: Remote Raid Help on planet Earth
Spildit wrote:
This would only matter mainly on Seagate F3 and Toshiba as there are other methods for other brands that wouldn't require to remove the heads like trying several ROM files on WD and getting the copy from the platters.

On Seagate F3 and Toshiba you wouldn't be able to SS at all you would gain nothing, unless you have some sort of factory code to run the SS or to regen the adaptives on those drives to start with.

So you would be back to square one...

So, you want to say, that lost original pcb for WD or Hitachi ARM is not a problem/not Actually? :)

_________________
http://www.alfadatarecovery.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2017, 19:56 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: December 19th, 2006, 8:49
Posts: 7862
Location: Portugal
Martin wrote:
Spildit wrote:
This would only matter mainly on Seagate F3 and Toshiba as there are other methods for other brands that wouldn't require to remove the heads like trying several ROM files on WD and getting the copy from the platters.

On Seagate F3 and Toshiba you wouldn't be able to SS at all you would gain nothing, unless you have some sort of factory code to run the SS or to regen the adaptives on those drives to start with.

So you would be back to square one...

So, you want to say, that lost original pcb for WD or Hitachi ARM is not a problem/not Actually? :)


Lost original PCB for WD is NEVER a problem.

_________________
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)
The HDD Oracle - Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2017, 0:40 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: August 15th, 2006, 3:01
Posts: 2294
Location: CDRLabs @ Chandigarh [ India ]
Spildit wrote:
Martin wrote:
Spildit wrote:
This would only matter mainly on Seagate F3 and Toshiba as there are other methods for other brands that wouldn't require to remove the heads like trying several ROM files on WD and getting the copy from the platters.

On Seagate F3 and Toshiba you wouldn't be able to SS at all you would gain nothing, unless you have some sort of factory code to run the SS or to regen the adaptives on those drives to start with.

So you would be back to square one...

So, you want to say, that lost original pcb for WD or Hitachi ARM is not a problem/not Actually? :)


Lost original PCB for WD is NEVER a problem.


Spildit ,
How About Hitachi ARM Series ?

_________________
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon
CDRLabs Data Recovery - [ Chandigarh ,India ]
My Data Recovery Experiments - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rebuilding lost adaptives
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2017, 15:18 
Offline

Joined: October 24th, 2014, 4:57
Posts: 195
Location: Remote Raid Help on planet Earth
Are we talking about all WD?

_________________
http://www.alfadatarecovery.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group