All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Seagate 750gb IDE fw vs. Apple fw for same HDD - difference?
PostPosted: January 17th, 2008, 14:48 

Looking to replace the 14 IDE Hitachi Deskstar 180 GB OEM drives on my Apple XServe RAID (2003 model A1009, fw 1.5.1) with Seagate 750 GB IDE drives using the same IDE sleds. In speaking with both Seagate tech and Apple tech, the only difference I can get between the fw Seagate installs natively, and the fw Apple flashes into their "blessed" Seagate 750 GB drives is the diagnostic capabilities you can get in RAID Admin with Apple's drives versus Seagate's, such as usage hours, etc.

Is this true? Are there more things Apple does with their fw than Seagate that would affect its functionality or longterm integrity in an Apple XServe RAID? This is being used for video editing purposes, so the data needs are pretty intensive.

Apple charges a much higher price for essentially nothing that I can see of any value, unless you guys can tell me otherwise.

Anything else I should know about the Seagate ST375064A 750 IDE drives before I go buy 16 of them?

Thanks! - Steve

Post subject: Re: Seagate 750gb IDE fw vs. Apple fw for same HDD - difference?
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 4:29 

weevie833 wrote:
Looking to replace the 14 IDE Hitachi Deskstar 180 GB OEM drives on my Apple XServe RAID (2003 model A1009, fw 1.5.1) with Seagate 750 GB IDE drives using the same IDE sleds. In speaking with both Seagate tech and Apple tech, the only difference I can get between the fw Seagate installs natively, and the fw Apple flashes into their "blessed" Seagate 750 GB drives is the diagnostic capabilities you can get in RAID Admin with Apple's drives versus Seagate's, such as usage hours, etc.

Is this true? Are there more things Apple does with their fw than Seagate that would affect its functionality or longterm integrity in an Apple XServe RAID? This is being used for video editing purposes, so the data needs are pretty intensive.

Apple charges a much higher price for essentially nothing that I can see of any value, unless you guys can tell me otherwise.

Anything else I should know about the Seagate ST375064A 750 IDE drives before I go buy 16 of them?

Thanks! - Steve

Yes - don't buy Seagate drives.

I'm seeing far too many of them recently - normally failed bearings.

I don't know if you are going to be setting these up in RAID 0 (I wouldn't be surprised - most video production / post-production suites seem to be) but if you could live with the slightly reduced output, I'd be inclined to use 1TB Hitachi drives.

Duncan

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2008, 17:30 

WD RE2 drives are good.

Seagate suck eggs

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 3:48 

weevie833 wrote:

Thanks! - Steve

Sounds like Apple is following Autodesk's playbook. Us Discreet Smoke and Flame users have had to deal with proprietary firmware on our fibrechannel drives forever. Gives them an excuse to charge thousands more.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 16:46 

hddguru wrote:
WD RE2 drives are good.

Seagate suck eggs

Sorry, I disagree.

The only drives I can recommend at the moment:

Samsung HD501LJ 500GB
Hitachi 1TB

Western Digital? No thanks - rubbish drives.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 18:45 

Odiferous wrote:
Western Digital? No thanks - rubbish drives.

And very problematic to recover...
just in the case...

pepe