All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Re: ninja kaze vs the ninja forensic which one
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 19:38 

sceggy wrote:
I had one of the very first Ninja units in the UK, and this unit continues to perform effortlessly. We have always been impressed with YEC-USA products. ....

When we were doing forensics, I looked at the YEC products. The King-DEMI-ASF has always been the one that interests me most of their products. I see they are carrying ATOLA...likely my next purchase.

craig6928 wrote:
ok the price for deepspar is $3,200 plus taxes ouch
I think that's less that many other imagers that IMHO aren't nearly as good.

What I'd like to know is what can it do (better? faster? ) that Data Extractor under PC3000 cannot???

PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 1:48 

pcrecovery wrote:
What I'd like to know is what can it do (better? faster? ) that Data Extractor under PC3000 cannot???

To pcrecovery:

I think I can answer you with that question, also it is the answer from my partner who own both deepspar and PC-3000 to the same question asked, that is:

deepspar is a good image tool when you are imaging a good drive for backup or something since it is fast in full disk image; for data recovery from drives with defects, it is stupid to purchase deepspar in case you have had the DE.

that's why I turn somewhere else for my new purchase (DC which is in argue in this forum), hope it does exactly the same as what it claims. (to me it is similar to DE but I don't need to pay that much).

Just my opinion, I am not telling you what decision you should make, like else has said: it is your money.

I would like to hear more review on ninja, not deepspar or PC-3000, just as what the title of this thread.

Bullshit!

PostPosted: September 7th, 2008, 13:26 

pcrecovery wrote:

I find the DS quicker than DE when dealing with lots of problems (100k+ bad sectors), but really the main problem with DE is that it takes the whole PC3K computer while imaging, which sucks... I can't afford to pay 14k just to use it for imaging, that is absolutely absurd. If they were the same price I would go for the DE. The DE has more features, of which I find imaging by heads to be by far the most useful. Imaging by files is fundamentally the wrong way to go in terms of data recovery so I only do that when the drive is basically working perfectly (sub 1k bad sectors) and my customer does not need a very large amount of data from their drive.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2008, 21:57 

Jinx wrote:
Imaging by files is fundamentally the wrong way to go in terms of data recovery so I only do that when the drive is basically working perfectly (sub 1k bad sectors) and my customer does not need a very large amount of data from their drive.

Hello Jinx, could you please give me more detail about the above? I am not proficient enough to understand since I thought that it is very good and it is a trend to recover by files instead of imaging by disk to disk which waste lots of my time and sucks. I havn't met with such a case that one client needs all the data on their drives. Maybe I havn't got your point?

Bullshit!

PostPosted: September 7th, 2008, 23:55 

HddSoEasy wrote:
Jinx wrote:
Imaging by files is fundamentally the wrong way to go in terms of data recovery so I only do that when the drive is basically working perfectly (sub 1k bad sectors) and my customer does not need a very large amount of data from their drive.

Hello Jinx, could you please give me more detail about the above? I am not proficient enough to understand since I thought that it is very good and it is a trend to recover by files instead of imaging by disk to disk which waste lots of my time and sucks. I havn't met with such a case that one client needs all the data on their drives. Maybe I havn't got your point?

The problem with imaging by files is that it is EXTREMELY intensive on the drive. Just to see a file explorer the drive has to read a tiny bit of data from a large number of different tracks using different heads every time. When you start imaging it has to do this over and over and over again considering file fragmentation. Doing this on an unstable drive is just asking for it IMO. Doing a full image might take longer, but it could very well hurt the drive less. Especially if you can disable the head that is having the most issues and do that part of the image separately. Also, when you do an image by files you are trusting that the data your tool got from the MFT is 100% intact. If it is even a tiny bit off from the original then all your file imaging efforts can go to waste and all you did is just make the drive worse. Generally the more you go towards easy and fast solutions the more you risk the data on the drive you are recovering. Like I said before, I still do it when the risks are low (drive is basically good) but on any other cases the logical part of the data recovery process must be separated from the imaging part if you want to be truly professional about the service... I've always been one of the "better safe than sorry people" so I try to avoid imaging by files.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2012, 20:14 

Folks
You are comparing apples and pears. The ninja is a super tool for duplicating / erasing. Deepspar is excellent for DR but far more expensive. For datarecovery you need all these tools and a lot more.

If I were to throw out all my it tools and only keep one I would choose the ninja as it a better all rounder.

HDD12345

PostPosted: February 1st, 2012, 14:38 

HDD12345 wrote:
Folks
You are comparing apples and pears. The ninja is a super tool for duplicating / erasing. Deepspar is excellent for DR but far more expensive. For datarecovery you need all these tools and a lot more.

If I were to throw out all my it tools and only keep one I would choose the ninja as it a better all rounder.

HDD12345

How much is the Ninja?