All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: Re: How to flash firmware for WD3200JS Hard Drive?
PostPosted: November 18th, 2008, 10:25 

Have you ever had a chance to look at a seagate that is in the smaller VIP, the 320G ones. I can just plug the power into the DVR and the SATA to the PC and it will spin up, but it will not if you plug the power into the PC, although I have not tried it that way, maybe I will.

Thanks
Scott

rtrick wrote:
It is in the drive itself, not your power connector.
I have some of the drives from the newer Vip722 that were in a fire.
The drives are fine but the dvr have smoke damage.

The drives will not spin up without being connected via sata cable to the dvr.
The procedure is basically , connect the power from the pc to the drive, connect the sata cable to the dvr.
Turn on the dvr and wait about 15 seconds, the drive will spin up as soon as the dvr boots.
Then you can swap out the sata cable with the pc and it will work like any other drive until the drive is powered down.

If you try to connect it directly to the pc without starting off the dvr, the drive will appear dead except it will show on the pc bios as a blank space, no name, just blank.

Now the interesting part.
If you have Ubuntu 8.10 installed it too can spin up the drive, with no swap tricks, just install into pc and use like any other drive.
It will show under the logs as :
ata2.00: HPA unlocked: 488395055 -> 488397168, native 488397168
ata2.00: ATA-7: ST3250620AS, 3.AAK, max UDMA/133
ata2.00: 488397168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)

These are 500GB WD drives.

So I'm guessing it is in the power up code.
The contents of the drive are encrypted with linux partitions so don't think you will be copying off recorded content :)

PostPosted: March 1st, 2009, 19:35 

rtrick,

On November 17th, 2008, 18:48
you answered... Yep it was related to the power up code.
Use Hdat2
Go to the Comand Feature Set , for the drive
Change Power Up in Standby to disabled.

Drive should work like any other drive now.

how do i do this, and do i need Ubuntu 8.10 installed?

PostPosted: March 10th, 2010, 4:56 

Where can I find that the bug is confirmed by WD?

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 3:08 

Is it possible to have it work for USB to SATA device? it seems USB is not initialized in the kernel

also does anyone have the source code for the "power on ide" bootable image?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 23:11 

Ok, I think I may have this solved. First you have to read some BS before I tell you what I did. First of all, I have been trying for over a year to accomplish this with no luck or help from the internet, about to give up. Decided one last try, and ran across this thread. First few posts upset me quite a bit. With that type of mentality, the web site should be called hdd user, not guru, because that is exactly what he expected you to be. Just use it the way it was intended. I think what he really meant to say, is that if you have to ask how to do it, then you will get no help from him because he doesn't know in the first place.

Ok, off my soap box. Someone got me thinking when then mentioned Linux. I hadn't tried anything on my linux machine with this hard drive. I am running Ubuntu 11.10. I will say I don't care very much for 11.10, 11.04 was a lot smoother. Anywho, i plugged the hdd straight into the mother board as if it was a secondary hard drive. In ancient terms...a slave hdd. the hdd spun up which got the heart racing. lol. at first ubuntu had a hard time mounting the drive, but after some coercing, (code for not really sure what made it finally mount) it recognized two 2gb partitions. i could see files in these partitions, but was unable to do anything with them. so...opened disk utility and saw that the drive had 4 partitions, two of which were greyed out. i clicked format the drive and cose master master boot record as the scheme. it formatted the drive, but ubunbtu did not recognize it in the home folder. went back to disk utility and added an ntfs partition the size of the drive. ubuntu immediately mounted the drive and i am now able to read and write to the drive.

PLEASE let me know if anyone else is able to do the same thing. I know many other people that are trying to do the same thing, and i don't want to pass on bad info. Good Luck!