In-depth technology research: finding new ways to recover data, accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust.

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...
Post a reply

Anyone got their hands on PC3000 portable yet?

August 21st, 2008, 21:46

Anyone got their hands on PC3000 portable yet? They have the Russian version and English is due few months.

Any good compared to the real PC3000 for Windows UDMA?

thank you

Re: Anyone got their hands on PC3000 portable yet?

August 22nd, 2008, 4:59

Im also pretty interested in this. Anyone able to make a valid comparison against the standard UDMA?

August 23rd, 2008, 5:08

It's on my shopping list...

What's intriguing is that they claim the tool combines the features of both UDMA and DataExtractor yet the Russian list price is only slightly higher than the plain UDMA.

August 23rd, 2008, 7:24

I don't really see the point of a portable version. We are rarely asked to do onsite data recovery by customers and I can never see it being a viable option, both economically and practically.

i.e. Maxtor N40P - In lab recovery, somewhere around $700+ depending on service level.

Doing this onsite, the maximum we could realistically charge would be twice this. Factor in travel time, expenses and the chance that the job actually can't be done on-site (weak head for example) and the lost opportunity of other jobs that cannot be done when an engineer is out of the lab, it doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone share my opinion?

August 23rd, 2008, 8:49

Exactly!
Anyone share my opinion?

I do! I hardly remember, when I was asked for an on-site job. Moreover, other aspects of the recovery, ie PCB replacement, Hot Swat, finding the rare firmware files -is hard to perform on-site. And top of the all, I just don't feel comfortable performing recoveries at somebody's office/home as I do in my own cute & lovely lab. :)

But BTW, PC3000 portable targets basically on economic perspect I think. It is a low end solution for the folks, who find themselves unable to get the classic PC3000 due it's price, but still wants to have a tool containting the "ACE" logo on it.

Anyways BTW, I don't really like to buy something -which will keep popping up the message whenver try to execute some improtant function "Sorry, This command is not supported. Please buy the FULL/UDMA version to fix this drive".

September 19th, 2008, 19:18

It's basically PC3000 lite. There's nothing popping up asking to buy "full" version.
It's just most of the menus are gone. :)

September 23rd, 2008, 12:31

I wonder if the China clone will come with a small guy to hold the laptop? :idea:
Post a reply