All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Data Medics For Sale - Must Sell by End of the Year!
PostPosted: July 1st, 2021, 11:59 

So I'd anonymously posted about my company being up for sale here on this thread: https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=41043

Now I'm ready to come out with it and announce that it's my company Data Medics that is for sale. My timeline has moved up and I'll need to close a sale by the end of this year as that's when I'm moving out of the USA.

With the active discussion forum, and past blogging, the website gets a ton of traffic and I'm currently getting a ton of cases (more than I even want) with zero advertising. It's 100% google organic and brand name referrals driving all cases in my door, and most are out of state and wouldn't care if they mailed to your current location. So it's an easy option to just combine my caseload with your own.

Ideally, I'd like to sell for $300K+, but due to the short time frame, I'd be willing to sell as low as $200K along with all tools/equipment/donor inventory/software/etc. (probably $100K of just that) So if you have any serious interest in buying the company, contact me ASAP and let's have a serious discussion. I'm really looking for a cash buyer rather than someone who will need financing and a long bank audit to get approved.

Post subject: Re: Data Medics For Sale - Must Sell by End of the Year!
PostPosted: July 1st, 2021, 17:10 

data-medics wrote:
My timeline has moved up and I'll need to close a sale by the end of this year as that's when I'm moving out of the USA.

What will happen to Moses?

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 5:09 

Surprised.

Are you leaving the data recovery industry?

Good luck!

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 13:02 

fzabkar wrote:
data-medics wrote:
My timeline has moved up and I'll need to close a sale by the end of this year as that's when I'm moving out of the USA.

What will happen to Moses?

We put him down last year. Another casualty of 2020.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2021, 13:03 

bojack wrote:
Surprised.

Are you leaving the data recovery industry?

Good luck!

Semi-retiring and moving to do full-time volunteer work. Probably will just do some online work to earn extra beer money.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2021, 6:23 

I'm sorry to hear that you are closing down.

Arobas Uldry Tunis
I.T. support and data recovery.

http://tunis.ausarl.ch

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2021, 8:32 

Setlec wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you are closing down.

Don't be, I'm certainly not. This business has been good to me, especially this last year when we had to raise prices twice just to keep the caseload manageable, and I'm sure it'll be great for the new owner. But, I'm honestly looking forward to getting away from the daily grind of rushing to recover data for demanding customers. My next career path will probably involve something laid back like blogging, web development, etc. that's less demanding and fits into what I'd rather be doing in life already.

I'm happy to finally be at a place in life where the demands of money no longer drive me and work can become just a side hustle. :D

PostPosted: July 6th, 2021, 6:04 

I wouldn't say web development to be less demanding. Honestly it's more stressful than doing data recovery, but it's my honest opinion. Now that I've got my rapidspar unit i feel more capable (although most of the features are automatized) being able to deal with bad sectors are a great thing. Now i'm looking forward to acquire tools to do the head swap (head combs & a laminar flow cabinet).

Arobas Uldry Tunis
I.T. support and data recovery.

http://tunis.ausarl.ch

PostPosted: July 6th, 2021, 15:25 

Setlec wrote:
I wouldn't say web development to be less demanding. Honestly it's more stressful than doing data recovery, but it's my honest opinion. Now that I've got my rapidspar unit i feel more capable (although most of the features are automatized) being able to deal with bad sectors are a great thing. Now i'm looking forward to acquire tools to do the head swap (head combs & a laminar flow cabinet).

I think once you get into head swaps and correcting firmware issues, you might change your mind ;-)

PostPosted: July 6th, 2021, 17:12 

data-medics wrote:
I'm happy to finally be at a place in life where the demands of money no longer drive me and work can become just a side hustle. :D

Become a beekeeper ;)

PostPosted: July 6th, 2021, 17:25 

If we assume that new HDDs, SSDs and smartphones all come out with locked firmware that Ace won't be able to crack, how much life will there be left in the data recovery business? Will it be possible to make a living doing just logical recoveries?

PostPosted: July 6th, 2021, 17:34 

fzabkar wrote:
If we assume that new HDDs, SSDs and smartphones all come out with locked firmware that Ace won't be able to crack, how much life will there be left in the data recovery business? Will it be possible to make a living doing just logical recoveries?

I remember 5 years ago we were all saying we needed to get out of the industry. Laptop sales were dropping 10% per year, Tablets and iPhones with automatic backups, iPhones all encrypted, Cloud storage taking over, NAS boxes safer that HDDs etc etc. Yet we are busier than ever.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2021, 17:59 

ddrecovery wrote:
fzabkar wrote:

I remember 5 years ago we were all saying we needed to get out of the industry. Laptop sales were dropping 10% per year, Tablets and iPhones with automatic backups, iPhones all encrypted, Cloud storage taking over, NAS boxes safer that HDDs etc etc. Yet we are busier than ever.

Has the nature of your work changed? Five years is about the point where people consider upgrading, so maybe there is an inevitable delay?

PostPosted: July 6th, 2021, 18:46 

fzabkar wrote:
ddrecovery wrote:
fzabkar wrote:

Has the nature of your work changed? Five years is about the point where people consider upgrading, so maybe there is an inevitable delay?

Yes the nature has shifted. We see a lot more NAS boxes as private clients have need for more data storage. However we see fewer RAIDs as the cloud is now hosting far more corporate data. We see a lot more SSDs and monoliths. We are actually doing a lot more physical recoveries than logical due to the nature of newer SMR drives.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2021, 8:02 

@ data-madics

May all your good wishes come true